Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Method for lessening the incidence of anginal attacks|
|Abstract:||A medical bandage is disclosed comprising a reservoir containing a gelled fluid, rheological agent and a drug. A method of using the bandage for producing a beneficial effect is disclosed also.|
|Inventor(s):||Gale; Robert M. (Mountain View, CA)|
|Assignee:||ALZA Corporation (Palo Alto, CA)|
1. A method for lessening the incidence of anginal attacks in a patient, which method comprises:
(a) positioning on the skin of a patient prone to anginal attacks, a medical bandage comprising:
(1) a backing member that is substantially impermeable to the passage of drug;
(2) a reservoir in contact with the backing member, the reservoir comprising gelled silicone fluid, silicon dioxide, and a vasodilator useful as a prophylactic antianginal drug; and
(3) a rate controlling membrane in contact with the reservoir, which membrane is permeable to the passage of the vasodilator, controls its rate of release from the bandage, and is in contact with the backing member; and,
(b) administering transdermally the vasodilator in a prophylactically effective amount for producing the intended benefit.
2. The method of lessening the incidence of anginal attacks according to claim 1 wherein the vasodilator is administered in an amount of about 10 to 2000 .mu./hr.
3. The method of lessening the incidence of anginal attacks according to claim 1 wherein the vasodilator is nitroglycerin and it is adminstered at about 20 to 1200 .mu.g/hr.
4. The method for lessening the incidence of anginal attacks according to claim 1 wherein the vasodilator is administered in a prophylactic priming dose for its intended effect.
5. The method for lessening the incidence of anginal attacks according to claim 1 wherein the vasodilator is administered in a prophylactically effective amount at a substantially constant rate over a prolonged period of time.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.