|Title:|| Pack for administering medicaments to patients|
|Abstract:||A pack is provided comprising a circular carrier disc provided with a plurality of containers arranged in a circle and each containing a dose of medicament in particulate form. The containers are puncturable to permit the medicament therein to be released.|
|Inventor(s):|| Newell; Robert E. (Pinner, GB2), Fitzsimmons; Robert A. (Barnard Castle, GB2) |
|Assignee:|| Glaxo Group Limited (London, GB2) |
1. A pack comprising a circular carrier disc which has a plurality of pre-filled, hermetically sealed containers formed integrally therewith and arranged in a circle, each container
being of generally conical form and containing a dose of medicament in the form of an inhalable powder, each container comprising at least opposed puncturable surfaces for forming a hole through said container to allow air to flow through the container
to entrain the powder contained therein.
2. A pack as claimed in claim 1, wherein the ratio of diameter to depth of each container is less than 4.5:1.
3. A pack as claimed in claim 1, wherein the ratio of diameter to depth of each container is not less than 2.4:1.
4. A pack as claimed in claim 1, wherein the carrier disc is of foil laminate material.
5. A pack as claimed in claim 4, comprising a base laminate and, secured thereto, a lid laminate in which depressions are formed to define the containers with the base laminate.
6. A pack as claimed in claim 5, in which the base laminate and lid laminate are secured to one another by a seal such that breaking and re-sealing thereof is tamper evident.
7. A pack as claimed in claim 5, wherein each of the base and lid laminate includes a layer of aluminum.
8. A pack as claimed in claim 1, wherein the medicament comprises an active ingredient selected from salbutamol and beclomethasone dipropionate.
9. A pack as claimed in claim 1, wherein the medicament comprises sodium cromoglycate.
10. A pack as claimed in claim 1, in which the particle size of the medicament is substantially in the range 0.5-10 microns.
11. A pack as claimed in claim 1, in which the.medicament comprises a pharmacologically active substance admixed with a solid pharmaceutically acceptable carrier.
12. A pack as claimed in claim 1, in which each container has a volume such that the powder therein occupies not more than 40% thereof.
13. A pack as claimed in claim 12, in which the powder occupies approximately 25% thereof.
14. A pack as claimed in claim 1, in which each container contains at least 20 mg of powder.
15. A pack as claimed in claim 1, in which each container has a depth such that the depth of powder therein is not more than approximately half the depth of the container when the container is oriented so that the conical form thereof tapers