Generated: April 28, 2017
|Title:||Pharmaceutical preparations containing cyclodextrin derivatives|
|Abstract:||The invention comprises pharmaceutical preparations consisting generally of a drug with a substantially low water solubility and an amorphous, water-soluble cyclodextrin-based mixtures. In these preparations a stable amorphous state can be achieved. This improves the dissolution properties of the drug and hence its absorption by the body. The required cyclodextrin-based mixtures were prepared from .alpha.-, .beta.-, or .gamma.-cyclodextrin which were rendered amorphous through non-selective alkylation. The alkylation agents suitable for that purposes are exemplified by propylene oxide, glycidol, iodoacetamide, chloroacetate, or 2-diethylaminoethylchloride; their reactions with cyclodextrins were performed in a manner to yield mixtures containing many components, a circumstance which effectively prevents crystallization processes within the above pharmaceutical preparation.|
|Inventor(s):||Pitha; Josef (Baltimore, MD)|
|Assignee:||The United States of America as represented by the Department of Health (Washington, DC)|
1. A method of producing a stablizing amorphous complex of a drug and a mixture of cyclodextrins which comprises the steps of:
1. Dissolving an intrinsically amorphous mixture of cyclodextrin deratives which are water soluble and capable of forming inclusion complexes with drugs in water; and
2. Solublizing lipophilic drugs into the aqueous media to form a solution and form a solublized drug/cyclodextrin complex.
2. A method of claim 1 wherein the solubilized complex is subjected to freeze-dried or evaporation to provide a solid cyclodextrin/drug complex in powder form.
3. A method of claim 1 wherein cyclodextrins used are substituted by at least one of the following substituents: hydroalkyl, carboxamide, diethylaminoethyl, carboxymethyl, and carboxyamidomethyl.
4. A method of claim 1 wherein the drug is a hormone.
5. A method of claim 4 wherein the drug is testosterone, an estrogen, or a progesterone.
6. A composition of matter which contains an amorphous complex of cylodextrin and a drug.
7. A omposition of matter of claim 6 wherein the drug is a hormone.
8. A composition of claim 6 wherein the drug is at least one of testosterone, progesterone, and an estrogenic drug.
9. A composition of matter of claim 6 in solid form.
10. A composition of matter of claim 9 which is a tablet.
11. A composition of matter of claim 6 which is in a liquid or semi-liquid form.
12. A composition of matter for use in the process of claim 1 containing a mixture of substituted cyclodextrin derivatives in amorphous form.
13. A composition of matter of claim 6 wherein the drug is a vitamin.
14. A composition of matter of claim 6 wherein the drug is a salt of retinoic acid.
15. A composition of matter of claim 6 wherein the drug is a steroid.
16. A composition of matter of claim 6 wherein the drug is a spironolactone.
17. A composition of matter of claim 6 wherein the drug is an antiviral agent.
18. A composition of matter of claim 17 wherein the antiviral agent is acylovir.
19. A composition of matter of claim 6 wherein the drug is a diuretic.
20. A composition of matter of claim 19 wherein the diuretic is chlorthalidone.
21. A composition of matter of claim 6 wherein the drug is an anticoagulant.
22. A composition of matter of claim 21 wherein the anticoagulant is dicumerol.
23. A composition of matter of claim 6 wherein the drug is an anticonvulsant
24. A composition of matter of claim 23 wherein the drug is diphenylhydantoin.
25. A composition of matter of claim 6 wherein the drug is an antiinflammatory agent.
26. A composition of matter of claim 25 wherein the antiinflammatory agent is iproniazid.
27. A composition of matter of claim 16 wherein the drug is oxyprenolol.
28. A composition of matter in solid or semi-solid form comprising at least one of testosterone, progesterone, and estradiol as an inclusion complex with poly-.beta.-cylodextin and/or hydroxypropyl-.beta.-cyclodextrin adapted for administration by buccal route.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.