|Abstract:||The local anesthetic, L-N-n-propylpipecolic acid-2,6-xylidide, namely: ##STR1## This compound is prepared by chlorinating L-pipecolic acid to yield the acid chloride, namely L-pipecolic acid chloride. The acid chloride is then reacted with 2,6-xylidine to yield L-pipecolic acid-2,6-xylidide. The L-N-pipecolic acid-2,6-xylidide is then propylated to yield the L-N-n-propylpipecolic acid-2,6-xylidide, which is a potent local anesthetic for humans and is of relatively low toxicity.|
|Inventor(s):||af Ekenstam; Bo T. (Hjalteby, SE), Bovin; Christer (Frolunda, SE)|
|Assignee:||Astra Lake Medel Aktiebolag (Sodertalje, SE)|
1. A method for inducing local anesthesia comprising administration to a patient needing local anesthesia an anesthetizing amount of the substantially pure L-isomer of
N-n-propylpipecolic acid-2,6-xylidide or its water soluble salts substantially devoid of the racemic and the D-isomer of N-n-propylpipecolic acid-2,6-xylidide.
2. A method according to claim 1 wherein the pure L-isomer of N-n-propylpipecolic acid-2,6-xylidide or its water soluble salts is contained in an injectable aqueous solution.
3. Substantially pure L-isomer of N-n-propylpipecolic acid-2,6-xylidide, and its water soluble salts, substantially devoid of racemic and D-N-n-propylpipecolic acid-2,6-xylidide.
4. The method of inducing local anesthesia in humans by the application of the compound of claim 3 to the region intended to be anesthetized in a concentration sufficient to effect anesthesia, and below that which would confer an adverse toxic reaction.
5. An injectable local anesthetic composition comprising an aqueous solution containing a sufficient amount of a water soluble salt of the compound of claim 3 to induce local anesthesia in humans, but with the concentration being below that which would confer an adverse toxic reaction.
6. A topical local anesthetic composition comprising a carrier and the compound of claim 3.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.