Serving leading biopharmaceutical companies globally:
Generated: October 20, 2017
|Title:||Inhalation activatable dispensers|
|Abstract:||An inhalation activatable dispenser for use with an aerosol container in which a latch mechanism releasing vane is pivotably mounted in an air passage between an aerosol outlet valve and a mouthpiece, and the latch mechanism cannot be released if force to activate the dispenser is not applied before a patient inhales.|
|Inventor(s):||Wass; Anthony C. L. (Stamford, GB)|
|Assignee:||Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing Company (St. Paul, MN)|
1. An inhalation activatable dispenser for use with an aerosol container having a valve for dispensing aerosol from an outlet in the container, the valve having a hollow stem which is
movable relative to the container between an outer closed position and an inner discharging position of the valve, said dispenser including a housing having a mouthpiece and an air passage therethrough terminating at said mouthpiece, the housing being
adapted to receive such an aerosol container, having a support block with a socket adapted to receive said stem and a through orifice communicating between said socket and said air passage, and said dispenser including latch means having parts movable
between an engaged position and a release position for preventing when said parts are in said engaged position the movement of said container and said support block toward each other upon the application of a force to bias the container and said support
block toward each other and for affording when said parts are in said release position movement of said container and said support block toward each other in response to said force to move said stem to its inner discharge position, said parts of said
latch means comprising a vane mounted on said housing in said air passageway between said orifice and said mouthpiece for movement toward said mouthpiece solely under the influence of inhalation through said mouthpiece from a blocking to a non-blocking
position with respect to said passageway during the application of said force to move said parts from said engage to said release position so that inhaling at the mouthpiece causes movement of said vane to its non-blocking position which allows said
force to move said stem relative to the container to its inner discharging position to dispense aerosol into the air passage for inhalation by the patient.
2. A dispenser according to claim 1 wherein said latch means includes means for preventing movement of said parts to said release position when said vane is in said non-blocking position prior to application of said force to bias the container and said support block toward each other.
3. A dispenser according to claim 1 wherein said vane is mounted on said housing for pivotal movement about an axis and has a drive surface forming an arc about said axis, the parts of said latch means further comprise a rocker mounted on said housing for pivotable movement about a fulcrum and a catch pivotably mounted on said rocker about a pivot axis remote from said fulcrum, said catch having a driven edge surface forming an arc about said pivot axis adapted to engage said arcuate drive surface on said vane, and a side surface disposed so that pivotal movement of said vane from said blocking to said non-blocking position during the application of said force causes frictional driving engagement of said drive surface with said driven surface to pivot said catch to afford movement of said side surface along said vane and pivoting of said rocker about said fulcrum to afford movement of said support block and container toward each other.
4. A dispenser according to claim 1 wherein said support block is fixed on said housing and said housing affords manual application of said force between said container and said housing.
5. A dispenser according to claim 1 wherein said container is fixed on said housing, said support block is fixed on a member movable with respect to said housing, and said dispenser comprises a spring adapted to be compressed and apply said force between said container and support block.
6. A dispenser according to claim 5 comprising a cover for said mouthpiece pivotably mounted on said housing and adapted to compress said spring upon movement of said cover from closed to an open position.
Serving leading biopharmaceutical companies globally:
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.