|Title:||Tioconazole and related compounds for control of Herpes simplex virus|
|Abstract:||Topical vaginal forms of tioconazole and related antimicrobic compounds, especially miconazole, econazole, clotrimazole, butaconazole and ketoconazole, are useful for the control (chemotherapeutic and chemoprophylactic) of Herpes virus infections.|
|Inventor(s):||Gibbs; David L. (New York, NY)|
|Assignee:||Pfizer Inc. (New York, NY)|
1. A method for the treatment of herpetic infections in a human infected thereby which comprises topically applying to the site of said infection an anti-herpetic amount of drug
selected from the group consisting of tioconazole, econazole, clotrimazole, ketoconazole, butaconazole or a pharmaceutically acceptable acid addition salt thereof.
2. A method according to claim 1 wherein the drug is applied in the form of a cream or ointment comprising from about 1% to about 10% of said drug.
3. A method according to claim 2 wherein the drug is administered intravaginally.
4. The method according to claim 3 wherein the drug is tioconazole.
5. The method according to claim 3 wherein the drug is econazole.
6. The method according to claim 3 wherein the drug is clotrimazole.
7. The method according to claim 3 wherein the drug is butaconazole.