|Abstract:||This invention provides a method of producing analgesia in mammals which comprises administering dextropropoxyphene and fluoxetine or norfluoxetine. Pharmaceutical formulations useful in this method are also provided.|
|Inventor(s):||Hynes; Martin D. (Carmel, IN)|
|Assignee:||Eli Lilly and Company (Indianapolis, IN)|
1. A method of potentiating dextropropoxyphene analgesia in mammals which comprises the administration to said mammal of an effective amount of fluoxetine or norfluoxetine in the time
range between 24 hours before and 2 hours after the administration of dextropropoxyphene.
2. The method of claim 1 wherein the compounds are administered simultaneously.
3. The method of claim 2 employing fluoxetine hydrochloride.
4. The method of claim 3 wherein about 10 to about 80 mg of fluoxetine hydrochloride and from about 30 to about 100 mg of dextropropoxyphene napsylate are administered.
5. A pharmaceutical formulation which comprises fluoxetine or norfluoxetine, dextropropoxyphene, and a pharmaceutically acceptable carrier, diluent, or excipient therefor, wherein the ratio of fluoxetine or norfluoxetine to dextropropoxyphene is about 4:1 to 1:4 and the combination of active ingredients is present in an effective amount.
6. A formulation according to claim 5 employing fluoxetine hydrochloride.
7. A formulation according to claim 6 wherein the ratio of fluoxetine hydrochloride to dextropropoxyphene is approximately 1:2.
8. A formulation according to claim 7 employing from about 10 to about 80 mg of fluoxetine hydrochloride and from about 30 to about 100 mg of dextropropoxyphene napsylate.
9. A formulation according to claim 8 which is formulated for oral administration.