|Title:||Acid stabilized compositions of thieno-pyridine derived compounds|
|Abstract:||A novel pharmaceutical composition which comprises an acid salt of a thieno-pyridine derived compound, a pharmaceutically acceptable, non-volatile organic acid (particularly citric acid) and optionally other suitable pharmaceutical excipients.|
|Inventor(s):||Chowhan; Zaka-ud-Din T. (Sunnyvale, CA)|
|Assignee:||Syntex (U.S.A.) Inc. (Palo Alto, CA)|
1. A stable pharmaceutical composition comprising a therapeutically effective amount of an active ingredient which is a pharmaceutically acceptable acid addition salt (PASS) of a
compound having the formula ##STR2## wherein: R is phenyl or benzyl, each optionally substituted on the phenyl ring with 1 to 3 halogen atoms, alkyl of 1-6 carbon atoms, alkoxy of 1-6 carbon atoms, hydroxy or nitro;
R.sub.1 is hydrogen, halogen, hydroxy or alkyl having 1-6 carbon atoms;
R.sub.2 is hydrogen or halogen; and
n is 1 or 2, and when n is 2, R.sub.1 may have different meanings in each (CHR.sub.1) radical and a non-toxic stabilizing amount of a pharmaceutically, non-volatile acidic compound which is ascorbic acid, benzoic acid, citric acid, fumaric acid, or tartaric acid and at least one pharmaceutically acceptable excipient.
2. The composition of claim 1 wherein said acidic compound is present in an amount of 0.5-5.0% (w/w) relative to the active ingredient.
3. The composition of claim 3 wherein said compound is the hydrochloride salt of 5-(2-chlorobenzyl)-4,5,6,7-tetrahydrothieno[3,2-c]pyridine said acid is citric acid and is present in an amount of 1-1.5% (w/w).
4. A pharmaceutical composition which comprises
40-90% by weight of a pharmaceutically acceptable acid addition salt of a thieno-pyridine derived compound;
0.5-5% by weight of a pharmaceutically acceptable, non-volatile organic acid which is ascorbic acid, benzoic acid, citric acid, fumaric acid, or tartaric acid;
0.2-5% by weight of a pharmaceutically acceptable lubricant;
5-15% by weight of a pharmaceutically acceptable disintegrant;
1-5% by weight of a pharmaceutically acceptable binder and the remainder a pharmaceutically acceptable diluent.
5. The composition of claim 4 wherein the compound is the hydrochloride salt of 5-(2-chlorobenzyl)-4,5,6,7-tetrahydrothieno[3,2-c]pyridine, said acid is citric acid, and said lubricant is magnesium stearate.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.