DrugPatentWatch Database Preview
« Back to Dashboard
Summary for Patent: 4,536,386
|Title:||Method of controlling emesis caused by cisplatin in cancer chemotherapy|
|Abstract:||High dosages of metoclopramide or a pharmaceutical salt thereof is administered intravenously to human cancer patients undergoing cisplatin chemotherapy to prevent emesis.|
|Inventor(s):||Keenan; Robert E. (Richmond, VA)|
|Assignee:||A. H. Robins Company, Inc. (Richmond, VA)|
1. A method for alleviating emesis in human cancer patients caused by cisplatin chemotherapy which comprises administering about 5 to 18 mg of metoclopramide or a
pharmaceutically acceptable salt thereof per kg of patient body weight over a period of time spanning about 30 minutes prior to cisplatin administration through the post administration period, said metoclopramide or the pharmaceutically acceptable salt
thereof being administered either continuously or as 4 to 7 individually spaced dosages about 11/2 to 3 hours apart.
2. The method of claim 1 wherein the metoclopramide or a pharmaceutically acceptable salt thereof is administered intraveneously in the presence of a liquid carrier therefor.
3. The method of claim 1 wherein the metoclopramide or a pharmaceutically acceptable salt thereof is divided into 4 to 7 individually spaced dosages which are administered about 11/2 to 3 hours apart.
4. The method of claim 3 wherein the amount of cisplatin administered is about 100 mg/square meter or less of patient body surface and each of the individually spaced dosages are comprised of about 1 mg contained metoclopramide per kg of body weight.
5. The method of claim 3 wherein the amount of cisplatin administered is at or above about 120 mg/square meter of patient body surface and each of the individually spaced dosages are comprised of about 2-3 mg contained metoclopramide per kg of body weight.
6. The method of claim 1 wherein the monohydrochloride monohydrate salt of metoclopramide is used
7. The method of claim 1 wherein the metoclopramide or a pharmaceutically acceptable salt thereof is administered as a continuous infusion.
For more information try a trial or see the plans and pricing
Serving hundreds of leading biopharmaceutical companies globally:
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.