DrugPatentWatch Database Preview
« Back to Dashboard
Summary for Patent: 4,522,807
|Title:||Substantive topical compositions|
|Abstract:||A highly substantive topical composition in the form of an oil-in-water emulsion containing an octadecene-1/maleic anhydride copolymer.|
|Inventor(s):||Kaplan; Carl (Memphis, TN)|
|Assignee:||Plough, Inc. (Memphis, TN)|
1. A dermatologically compatible, highly substantive sunscreening oil-in-water emulsion composition comprising 0.1 to 5% octadecene-1/maleic anhydride copolymer having a
molecular weight of 4,000 to 100,000, an effective sunscreening amount of a sunscreening agent, an oil, from 40 to 95% water and having a pH of 6 to 10.
2. A composition according to claim 1 wherein the concentration of said copolymer is 0.3 to 3.0 percent.
3. A composition according to claim 1 in which said copolymer has a molecular weight of about 40,000 to 60,000.
4. A composition according to claim 3 in which the molecular weight of said copolymer is about 50,000.
5. A composition according to claim 1 in which the monomers of said copolymer are present in substantially a 1:2 to 2:1 molar ratio.
6. A composition according to claim 5 in which said monomers are present in substantially a 1:1 molar ratio.
7. A composition according to claim 6 wherein said copolymer has a melting point range of 110.degree.-120.degree..
8. A composition according to claim 1 in which the composition is an anionic emulsion.
9. A composition according to claim 1 in which the sunscreening agent comprises homomenthyl salicylate.
10. A composition according to claim 1 in which the sunscreening agent comprises octyldimethyl PABA.
11. A composition according to claim 1 in which the sunscreening agent comprises octyl methoxycinnamate.
12. A composition according to claim 1 in which the pH of said composition is 7 to 9.
13. A method of increasing the substantivity of an oil-in-water sunscreening emulsion containing an oil, a sunscreening agent, and 40 to 95% water by incorporating therein 0.1 to 5% of octadecene-1/maleic anhydride copolymer having a molecular weight of 4,000 to 100,000 wherein the pH is 6 to 10.
14. The method of claim 13 wherein the sunscreen agent is selected from the group consisting of octyl dimethyl PABA, homomenthyl salicylate, benzophenone-3, and octyl methoxycinnimate.
For more information try a trial or see the plans and pricing
Serving hundreds of leading biopharmaceutical companies globally:
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.