Deep knowledge on
small-molecule drugs and
the 110,000 global patents
Drug patents …
… from Kazakhstan to Kalamazoo
Anticipate generic drug launch
Manage your formulary budget
Find generic entry opportunities
Proactively manage your pharmacy inventory
Flat-rate pricing for predictable budgeting
Short-term plans for project- or client-based billing
Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Compositions and methods for using 13-cis vitamin A acid compounds|
|Abstract:||Methods for the prophylaxis of certain premalignant conditions and epithelial carcinomas comprising systemically administrating 13-cis vitamin A acid and a suitable pharmaceutical carrier material are described and compositions containing 13-cis Vitamin A acid suitable for systemic administration are disclosed.|
|Inventor(s):||Bollag; Werner (Basel, CH)|
|Assignee:||Hoffmann LaRoche Inc. (Nutley, NJ)|
1. A method of prophylaxis against the development of epithelial carcinomas of the skin, gastrointestinal tract, respiratory tract or genito-urinary tract which comprises enterally
administering to persons susceptible to such carcinomas a composition comprising a medicinally inert, pharmaceutically acceptable carrier material and 13-cis vitamin A acid or a pharmaceutically acceptable salt thereof, said composition being
administered in an amount sufficient to provide from about 0.05 mg to about 3.0 mg of 13-cis vitamin A acid or its pharmaceutically acceptable salt per kg of body weight per day.
2. A method in accordance with claim 1 wherein said composition additionally contains an antioxidant selected from the group consisting of alpha-tocopherol, N-methyl-.gamma.-tocopherolamine, butylated hydroxyanisole, butylated hydroxytoluene, ethoxyquin and mixtures thereof.
3. The method in accordance with claim 1 wherein the daily amount of 13-cis vitamin A acid administered is from 0.1 mg. to about 1.0 mg. per kilogram of body weight of said person.
4. A method in accordance with claim 1 wherein said composition is administered in the form of pharmaceutical unit dosage, each unit dosage containing from about 5.0 mg. to about 50.0 mg. of 13-cis vitamin A acid or its pharmaceutically acceptable salt.
5. A method in accordance with claim 1 wherein said pharmaceutically acceptable salt is the sodium salt.
6. A method in accordance with claim 1 wherein said carcinomas are those of the skin, bronchi, gastrointestinal tract, genitalia or oral cavity.
7. A method in accordance with claim 6 wherein said composition is administered in the form of pharmaceutical unit dosage, each unit dosage containing from about 5.0 mg. to about 50.0 mg. of 13-cis vitamin A acid or its pharmaceutically acceptable salt.
8. A method in accordance with claim 6 wherein said composition is administered to patients afflicted with a premalignant condition characterized by a propensity to mature into one of said carcinomas.
9. A method in accordance with claim 8 wherein said premalignant condition is bronchogenic disease.
10. A composition in unit dosage form for enteral administration comprising as an active ingredient 13-cis Vitamin A acid or pharmaceutically acceptable salts thereof and a pharmaceutically acceptable carrier suitable for enteral administration, said active ingredient being present in said composition in an amount of from about 5 mg to about 50 mg.
11. The composition of claim 10 wherein said carrier is vegetable oil.
12. The composition of claim 10 wherein said unit dosage form is a tablet, capsule or dragee.
13. The composition of claim 12 wherein said unit dosage form is a capsule.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.