|Title:||1,3-Bis(azolyl)propanols as fungicides and plant growth regulators|
|Abstract:||Fungicidal compounds of the formula: ##STR1## wherein R.sup.1 is an optionally substituted-alkyl, -cycloalkyl, -aryl or -aralkyl group, Y.sup.1 and Y.sup.2 are .dbd.CH-- or .dbd.N--; and salts, metal complexes, ethers and esters thereof.|
|Inventor(s):||Worthington; Paul A. (Maidenhead, GB2)|
|Assignee:||Imperial Chemical Industries PLC (London, GB2)|
1. A compound selected from the group consisting of compounds having the formula: ##STR17## wherein R.sup.1 is selected from the group consisting of: phenyl or benzyl substituted with
one or more of the following: halogen, alkyl or haloalkyl each containing from 1 to 5 carbon atoms, alkoxy or haloalkoxy each containing from 1 to 4 carbon atoms, nitro, cyano, hydroxy, alkylthio containing from 1 to 40 carbon atoms, vinyl, phenyl or
phenoxy; and wherein the alkyl moiety of the benzyl is unsubstituted, or substituted with alkyl containing from 1 to 4 carbon atoms, phenyl or chlorophenyl, Y.sup.1 and Y.sup.2 are .dbd.CH--or .dbd.N--; and salts, metal complexes, methyl, ethyl,
propyl, butyl, phenyl, benzyl, p-chlorobenzyl, allyl and propargyl ethers and acetate, pivaloate, benzoate, tosylate and mesylate esters thereof.
2. A compound according to claim 1 wherein the phenyl or benzyl is unsubstituted, or substituted with one, two or three of the following: halogen, methyl, methoxy, trifluoromethyl, trifluoromethoxy, phenyl, halophenyl, phenoxy or vinyl groups; and wherein the alkyl moiety of the benzyl is unsubstituted or substituted with methyl, ethyl or phenyl.
3. 1,3-Bis-(1,2,4)-triazolyl-2-(2,4-dichlorphenyl)-propan-2-ol having the structure: ##STR18##
4. A pharmaceutical or veterinary fungicidal composition which comprises an effective amount of a compound according to claim 1 together with a pharmaceutically or veterinary-acceptable diluent or carrier.
5. A composition for combating fungi, or for regulating plant growth, which comprises, as an active ingredient, an effective amount of a compound as defined in claim 1.
6. A process for combating fungi, or regulating plant growth, which comprises applying to a plant, to seed of a plant or to the locus of a plant or seed, an effective amount of a compound as defined in claim 1.
7. A method of treatment of candidiasis or human dermatophyte infections which comprises administering to a human or animal an effective amount of a compound as claimed in claim 1.