Manage your formulary budget
Drug patents …
… from Kazakhstan to Kalamazoo
Find generic entry opportunities
Deep knowledge on
small-molecule drugs and
the 110,000 global patents
Proactively manage your pharmacy inventory
Anticipate generic drug launch
Flat-rate pricing for predictable budgeting
Short-term plans for project- or client-based billing
Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Micronized aerosol steroids|
|Abstract:||An antiinflammatory steroid exhibiting a tendency to crystal growth in suspension in aerosol propellants is contacted with a halogenated hydrocarbon to form a crystalline solvate, which, after removal of some or all of the propellant from the crystals, is reduced to a particle size permitting inhalation into the human bronchial system when dispersed as an aerosol, the micronized crystalline solvate not thereafter exhibiting crystal growth in the aerosol propellant. The solvate is a new composition of matter which has been characterized by I.R. spectra and the aerosol formulation prepared therefrom has valuable therapeutic properties, particularly in the treatment of asthma.|
|Inventor(s):||Cook; Peter B. (Standon, GB2), Hunt; John H. (Theydon Bois, GB2)|
|Assignee:||Allen & Hanburys Limited (London, GB2)|
1. An antiinflammatory steroid in the form of a crystalline solvate with a halogenated hydrocarbon or said crystalline solvate from which part or all of the halogenated
hydrocarbon has been removed, wherein said halogenated hydrocarbon is a chloro or chlorofluoro hydrocarbon having 1 or 2 carbon atoms; said steroid is beclomethasone dipropionate, betamethasone-21-acetate-17-isobutyrate or
21-chloro-21-desoxybetamethasone-17-propionate, said steroid being stabilized with respect to further crystal growth in a chloro or chlorofluoro hydrocarbon solvent having 1 or 2 carbon atoms and the particle size of substantially all of the steroid
material being such as to permit inhalation into the human bronchial system.
2. A steroid material as claimed in claim 1 in which the particle size is not greater than 20 microns.
3. A steroid material as claimed in claim 1 in which the particle size is from 2 to 5 microns.
4. A steroid material as claimed in claim 1 in which the steroid is beclomethasone dipropionate.
5. A steroid material as claimed in claim 4 in which the halogenated hydrocarbon is trichloromonofluoromethane.
6. A steroid material as claimed in claim 5 in which the halogenated hydrocarbon is difluorodichloromethane.
7. A steroid material as claimed in claim 32 in which the steroid is betamethasone 21-acetate-17-isobutyrate or 21-chloro-21-desoxy-betamethasone-17-propionate.
8. A steroid material as claimed in claim 4 in the form of a solvate with trichloromonofluoromethane having the I.R. spectrum as shown in FIG. 1 of the accompanying drawings.
9. A steroid material as claimed in claim 7 in the form of a solvate of betamethasone 21-acetate-17-isobutyrate with trichloromonofluoromethane having the I.R. spectrum as shown in FIG. 2 of the accompanying drawings.
10. A steroid material as claimed in claim 7 in the form of a solvate of 21-chloro-21-desoxy-betamethasone-17-propionate with chloroform having the I.R. spectrum as shown in FIG. 4 of the accompanying drawings.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.