|Title:|| Prodrug derivatives of 9.beta.-D-arabinofuranosyl-2-fluoroadenine|
|Abstract:||The 5'-formate and the 5'-phosphate derivatives of 9-.beta.-D-arabinofuranosyl-2-fluoroadenine have been prepared as prodrug forms of the anti-cancer agent 9-.beta.-D-arabinofuranosyl-2-fluoroadenine, known as F-ara-A. These derivatives are quite water soluble whereas F-ara-A itself is sparingly soluble in water or in any organic solvents. Delivery of these prodrug forms to mice with L1210 leukemia results in the formation of higher levels of the triphosphate of F-ara-A, the active form of the drug, in the target L1210 leukemia cells. These prodrug forms are much more active chemotherapeutically than 9-.beta.-D-arabinofuranosyladenine, known as ara-A, and equivalent in activity to the combination of ara-A and 2'-deoxycoformycin, known as 2'-dCF, an effective in vivo inhibitor of adenosine deaminase, a ubiquitous enzyme that destroys ara-A in vivo.|
|Inventor(s):|| Montgomery; John A. (Birmingham, AL), Shortnacy; Anita T. (Birmingham, AL) |
|Assignee:|| The United States of America as represented by the Department of health (Washington, DC) |
2. A method for treating L1210 cancer in mice by administration of an aqueous solution of an effective amount of an agent consisting of 5'-O-formyl derivative of O-.beta.-D-arabinofuranosyl-2-fluoroadenine.
3. A method of treating mouse cancer according to claim 2 wherein an oral dosage is administered in an effective amount of a dosage of 10 to 250 mg/kg/day in a unitary regimen.
5. A method of treating L1210 mouse cancer by administration of an aqueous solution of an effective amount of an agent consisting of 5-O-phosphate derivative of O-.beta.-D-arabinofuranosyl-2-fluoroadenine.
6. A method of treating mouse cancer by administration of an effective amount of an aqueous solution of 5' phosphate of 9-.beta.-D-arabinofuranosyl-2-fluoroadenine.
7. A method for treating L1210 cancer in mice wherein the 5' phosphate of 9-.beta.-D-arabinofuranosyl-2-fluoroadenine is administered in an effective amount of a dosage of 10 to 250 mg.