|Title:||Lung surfactant compositions|
|Abstract:||A synthetic protein-free lung surfactant composition is utilized to temporarily substitute for natural lung surfactant in the mammalian lung where such natural lung surfactant is absent or in low concentration. The synthetic surfactant composition consists essentially of a major amount of 1,2-dipalmitoyl-sn-3-glycerophosphoryl choline (DPPC), and a minor amount of a fatty alcohol, preferably a fatty alcohol having from 14 to 18 carbon atoms, and especially n-hexdecan-1-ol. The synthetic surfactant composition is administered directly into the lungs of a distressed subject to create a film on the alveolar interfacial surfaces and reduce surface tension. Expansion of the alveolar spaces is thereby facilitated.|
|Inventor(s):||Clements; John A. (Tiburon, CA)|
|Assignee:||Regents of the University of California (Berkeley, CA)|
1. A mammalian lung surfactant composition consisting essentially of dipalmitoyl phosphatidylcholine in admixture with a fatty alcohol.
2. The composition of claim 1 wherein the fatty alcohol has from about 14 to 18 carbon atoms.
3. The composition of claim 2 wherein the fatty alcohol is hexadecanol.
4. The composition of claim 2 wherein the fatty alcohol is oleic alcohol.
5. The composition of claim 1 wherein the dipalmitoyl phosphotidyl choline constitutes a major percentage by weight of the composition and wherein the fatty alcohol constitutes a minor percentage.
6. The composition of claim 5 wherein the fatty alcohol is present in the range of about 6 to 18% by weight and the dipalmitoyl phosphatidyl choline is present in the range of about 82 to 94% by weight.
7. A composition for administration into mammalian alveolar spaces comprising a suspension of dipalmitoyl phosphatidyl choline and hexadecanol in saline solution.
8. A method for treating respiratory distress syndrome in mammals wherein natural lung surfactant normally produced by the mammal is absent or deficient, comprising introducing into the alveolar spaces a quantity of a composition consisting essentially of a major amount of 1,2 dipalmitoyl-sn-3-glycerophosphoryl choline in admixture with a minor amount of a fatty alcohol.
9. The method of claim 8 wherein the fatty alcohol is n-hexadecan-1-ol.