Deep knowledge on
small-molecule drugs and
the 110,000 global patents
Drug patents …
… from Kazakhstan to Kalamazoo
Proactively manage your pharmacy inventory
Manage your formulary budget
Anticipate generic drug launch
Find generic entry opportunities
Flat-rate pricing for predictable budgeting
Short-term plans for project- or client-based billing
Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Process for waste nitrogen removal|
|Abstract:||A process for controlling waste nitrogen accumulation diseases in humans which comprises administering an effective amount of at least one compound selected from the group consisting of benzoic acid, phenylacetic acid and the non-toxic, pharmaceutically-acceptable salts of the acids to a human suffering from waste nitrogen accumulation.|
|Inventor(s):||Brusilow; Saul W. (Baltimore, MD), Batshaw; Mark L. (Pikesville, MD), Radin; Norman S. (Ann Arbor, MI)|
|Assignee:||The Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD)|
1. A process for controlling waste nitrogen accumulation diseases in humans, caused by an impairment in the normal synthesis of urea from
ordinary waste nitrogen in the body or in the normal excretion thereof, said process comprising administering an effective amount of at least one compound selected from the group consisting of benzoic acid, phenylacetic acid and the non-toxic,
pharmaceutically-acceptable salts of said acids to a human suffering from such waste nitrogen accumulation disease, the amount of said compound used being sufficient to react with the waste nitrogen to form an amino acid acylation product for urinary
discharge of said product.
2. The process of claim 1 wherein a mixture of benzoic acid and phenylacetic acid, or salts thereof, is administered.
3. The process of claim 1 wherein the administration is continued until the accumulated waste nitrogen is discharged as urinary nitrogen.
4. The process of claim 1 wherein the human is one with a urea-cycle enzymopathy.
5. The process of claim 1 wherein the human is one suffering from uremia.
6. The process of claim 1 wherein the human is one suffering from a hepatic disorder.
7. The process of claim 1 wherein the human is one suffering from Reye's syndrome.
8. The process of claim 1 wherein the administration of the benzoic acid or phenylacetic acid, or salts thereof, synthesizes hippuric acid and phenylacetylglutamine, respectively, and the synthesized product is discharged as urinary nitrogen.
9. The process of claim 1 wherein the salt is sodium salt.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.