Deep knowledge on
small-molecule drugs and
the 110,000 global patents
Find generic entry opportunities
Manage your formulary budget
Anticipate generic drug launch
Proactively manage your pharmacy inventory
Drug patents …
… from Kazakhstan to Kalamazoo
Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Tretinoin in a gel vehicle for acne treatment|
|Abstract:||An acne treatment gel composition, effective at low concentrations of tretinoin, is provided for topical application. The composition is highly effective in treating acne conditions and is capable of being stored without refrigeration for long periods of time without losing therapeutic effectiveness and while maintaining the uniformity and stability of the gel.|
|Inventor(s):||Marks; Alan M. (East Brunswick, NJ)|
|Assignee:||Johnson & Johnson (New Brunswick, NJ)|
1. A gel formulation for topical application comprising from about 0.01% to about 0.025% by weight of said formulation of tretinoin; and a vehicle system consisting
essentially of (a) from about 84 to about 99% by weight of said formulation of an organic solvent selected from the group consisting of ethanol, isopropanol, and propylene glycol; (b) an effective amount to inhibit oxidation of said tretinoin of a
pharmaceutically acceptable antioxidant soluble in said organic solvent; and (c) an effective amount to cause gelling of hydroxypropyl cellulose.
2. The product of claim 1 wherein the antioxidant is selected from the group consisting of butylated hydroxyanisole, butylated hydroxytoluene, .alpha.-tocopherol, ascorbic acid, and propyl gallate.
3. The product of claim 2 which contains from about 0.01 to about 0.10% by weight of said antioxidant and from about 0.5 to about 5.0% by weight of said hydroxypropyl cellulose.
4. The product of claim 1 wherein said organic solvent comprises a mixture selected from the group consisting of ethanol and propylene glycol; isopropanol and proplyene glycol; and ethanol and isopropanol.
5. The product of claim 1 further comprising a dye.
6. The product of claim 1 further comprising a perfume oil.
7. The product of claim 1 further comprising a sunscreen.
8. The product of claim 1 further comprising an antimicrobial.
9. The product of claim 1 further comprising a topical corticosteroid.
10. A gel formulation for topical treatment of acne vulgaris consisting essentially of:
from about 0.01 to about 0.025% by weight of tretinoin;
from about 84 to about 99% by weight of an organic solvent selected from the group consisting of ethanol, isopropanol, propylene glycol and mixtures thereof;
from about 0.025 to about 0.075% by weight of an antioxidant selected from the group consisting of butylated hydroytoluene, butylated hydroxyanisole, ascorbic acid, propyl gallate, and .alpha.-tocopherol;
and from about 0.5 to about 3.0% of hydroxypropyl cellulose.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.