|Title:|| Novel pharmaceutical compositions|
|Abstract:||Compositions containing substituted 1,2,5-thiadiazole .beta.-blocking agent and pyrazine and/or thiazide diuretic, and a method of treating hypertensive animals are disclosed.|
|Inventor(s):|| Sweet; Charles S. (Lansdale, PA) |
|Assignee:|| Merck & Co., Inc. (Rahway, NJ) |
1. Composition useful for treating hypertension comprising:
(A) .beta.-blocking agent selected from:
(i) compounds having the formula ##STR4## wherein R is morpholino or piperidino and R' is C.sub.3 -C.sub.6 alkyl, (ii) non-toxic pharmaceutically acceptable salts of (i); and
(iii) mixtures containing (i) and (ii); and
(B) diuretic selected from a 1,2,4 benzothiadiazine and
a pharmaceutically acceptable salt thereof
wherein the weight ratio of (A.):(B.) is about 1:1 to about 1:10.
2. A composition of claim 1 wherein said thiazide is selected from chlorothiazide, alkali metal salts of chlorothiazide, and hydrochlorothiazide.
3. A composition of claim 2 wherein R is morpholino or piperidino and R' is isopropyl or t-butyl.
4. Composition of claim 3 wherein R is morpholino.
5. Composition of claim 4 wherein said diuretic is hydrochlorothiazide.
6. Composition of claim 5 wherein R' is t-butyl.
7. Composition of claim 6 wherein said .beta.-blocking agent is said (ii) salt of the (i) (-) isomer.
8. Composition of claim 7 wherein said (ii) is the hydrogen maleate.
9. Composition of claim 8 wherein said ratio range 1:1.25-1:5.
10. Composition of claim 8 in tablet form containing 5 or 10 mg of (A.) and 10, 25 or 50 mg of (B.).
11. Composition of claim 8 in tablet form containing 10 mg of (A.) and 25 mg of (B.).
12. The composition of claim 1 wherein said 1,2,4 benzothiadazine is flumethiazide, benzthiazide, cyclopenthiazide, cyclothiazide, trichloromethiazide, benzhydroflumethiazide, methylcyclothiazide, polythiazide, thiabutazide, hydrochlorothiazide,
chlorothiazide or a pharmaceutically acceptable salt thereof.
13. A method of treating a hypertensive animal to reduce blood pressure which comprises administration of a blood pressure reducing amount of a composition of claim 1.