|Title:||Method for treating calcium imbalance and improving calcium absorption in mammals|
|Abstract:||A method for treating or preventing metabolic bone disease characterized by loss of bone mass and of improving the calcium balance and calcium absorption of mammals, particularly of women in the post menopausal state, by administering at least one compound having the formulae ##STR1## where R.sub.1, R.sub.2 and R.sub.4 are each selected from the group consisting of hydrogen, hydroxyl, lower alkyl, acyl and O-alkyl and R.sub.3 is selected from the group consisting of hydrogen, hydroxyl, keto, lower alkyl, acyl and O-alkyl.|
|Inventor(s):||DeLuca; Hector F. (Madison, WI)|
|Assignee:||Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation (Madison, WI)|
1. A method for increasing the calcium absorption and retention within the body of mammals displaying evidence of, or having a
physiological tendency toward, loss of bone mass, which comprises administering internally to said mammals, in a therapeutically effective amount, at least one compound selected from the group consisting of 1.alpha.-hydroxycholecalciferol,
1.alpha.-hydroxyergocalciferol, 1,25-dihydroxycholecalciferol, 1,25-dihydroxyergocalciferol and 1,24,25-trihydroxycholecalciferol.
2. The method of claim 1 where the compound is administered in an amount from about one-tenth microgram to about one microgram per day.
3. The method of claim 1 wherein the compound, in solution in a liquid vehicle ingestible by and nontoxic to said mammals is administered orally in encapsulated form.
4. The method of claim 1 wherein the compound is administered to women during and subsequent to menopause.
5. The method of claim 1 wherein the compound is administered to women prior to the onset of menopause.