DrugPatentWatch Database Preview
« Back to Dashboard
Summary for Patent: 4,225,596
|Title:||Method for treating calcium imbalance and improving calcium absorption in mammals|
|Abstract:||A method for treating or preventing metabolic bone disease characterized by loss of bone mass and of improving the calcium balance and calcium absorption of mammals, particularly of women in the post menopausal state, by administering at least one compound having the formulae ##STR1## where R.sub.1, R.sub.2 and R.sub.4 are each selected from the group consisting of hydrogen, hydroxyl, lower alkyl, acyl and O-alkyl and R.sub.3 is selected from the group consisting of hydrogen, hydroxyl, keto, lower alkyl, acyl and O-alkyl.|
|Inventor(s):||DeLuca; Hector F. (Madison, WI)|
|Assignee:||Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation (Madison, WI)|
|Patent Litigation and PTAB cases:||See patent lawsuits and PTAB cases for patent 4,225,596|
1. A method for increasing the calcium absorption and retention within the body of mammals displaying evidence of, or having a
physiological tendency toward, loss of bone mass, which comprises administering internally to said mammals, in a therapeutically effective amount, at least one compound selected from the group consisting of 1.alpha.-hydroxycholecalciferol,
1.alpha.-hydroxyergocalciferol, 1,25-dihydroxycholecalciferol, 1,25-dihydroxyergocalciferol and 1,24,25-trihydroxycholecalciferol.
2. The method of claim 1 where the compound is administered in an amount from about one-tenth microgram to about one microgram per day.
3. The method of claim 1 wherein the compound, in solution in a liquid vehicle ingestible by and nontoxic to said mammals is administered orally in encapsulated form.
4. The method of claim 1 wherein the compound is administered to women during and subsequent to menopause.
5. The method of claim 1 wherein the compound is administered to women prior to the onset of menopause.
For more information try a trial or see the plans and pricing
Serving hundreds of leading biopharmaceutical companies globally:
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.