DrugPatentWatch Database Preview
« Back to Dashboard
Summary for Patent: 4,066,755
|Title:||Phenylaminoethanol derivatives for treating hypertension|
|Abstract:||Compounds of the formula: ##STR1## and physiologically acceptable acid addition salts thereof, in which R.sup.1 is A. an arylalkyl group, the alkyl portion of which contains from 1 to 6 carbon atoms and the aryl portion of which may be substituted by one or more alkoxy groups or hydroxy groups; or B. an aryloxyalkyl group, the alkyl portion of which contains from 1 to 6 carbon atoms, and the aryloxy portion of which is substituted with one or more alkoxy or hydroxy groups. These compounds have a blacking action on both .alpha.- and .beta.-adrenergic receptors and are useful in treating hypertension. Processes for the production of these compounds and pharmaceutical compositions containing them are also provided.|
|Inventor(s):||Lunts; Lawrence Henry Charles (London, EN), Collin; David Trevor (London, EN)|
|Assignee:||Allen & Hanburys Limited (London, EN)|
1. A pharmaceutical composition for the treatment of hypertension, comprising as active ingredient, an effective amount of
5-[1-hydroxy-2-(1-methyl-3-phenylpropyl)aminoethyl]salicylamide or a physiologically acceptable acid addition salt thereof in association with a non-toxic pharmaceutically acceptable carrier.
2. A composition as claimed in claim 1 in which said active ingredient is 5-[1-hydroxy-2-(1-methyl-3-phenylpropyl) aminoethyl] salicylamide.
3. A composition as claimed in claim 1 in which said active ingredient is 5-[1-hydroxy-2-(1-methyl-3-phenylpropyl) aminoethyl) salicylamide hydrochloride.
4. A composition as claimed in claim 1 in dosage unit form containing from 5 mg to 1000 mg of said active ingredient.
5. A composition as claimed in claim 4 containing from 20 mg to 200 mg of said active ingredient.
6. A composition as claimed in claim 5 in the form of a tablet.
7. A method of treating a human patient suffering from hypertension by blocking both .alpha.- and .beta.-adrenergic receptors in the patient, characterized in that there is administered orally, by suppository or by injection, an effective amount of a compound having both .alpha.- and .beta.-blocking activity, which compound is 5-[1-hydroxy-2-(1-methyl-3-phenylpropyl)aminoethyl] salicylamide or a physiologically acceptable acid addition salt thereof.
8. A method as claimed in claim 7 in which said compound is administered orally.
9. A method as claimed in claim 8 in which said compound is administered in tablet form.
10. A method as claimed in claim 9 in which each tablet contains from 20 mg to 200 mg of said compound.
For more information try a trial or see the plans and pricing
Serving hundreds of leading biopharmaceutical companies globally:
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.