Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Fatty alcohol-propylene glycol vehicle|
|Abstract:||A substantially non-aqueous medicant vehicle containing from 15 to 45 parts saturated fatty alcohol having from 16 to 24 carbons, from 45 to 85 parts glycol solvent, from 0 to 15 parts plasticizer, from 0 to 15 parts coupling agent, 0 to 20 parts penetrant, and if desired, other pharmaceutical adjuvants. This base is a suitable vehicle for all types of therapeutic agents for topical application including antibiotics, steroids, antihistamines, antiseptics, anesthetics, antibacterials, fungicides, and the like. The vehicle has shown particular advantages with anti-inflammatory topical corticoids.|
|Inventor(s):||Katz; Martin (Atherton, CA), Neiman; Herbert M. (Philadelphia, PA)|
|Assignee:||Syntex Corporation (PM)|
1. A substantially anhydrous pharmaceutical vehicle of cream-like consistency consisting essentially of
a. from 20 to 35 parts by weight saturated fatty alcohol having from 16 to 24 carbon atoms,
b. from 55 to 80 parts by weight of a glycol solvent selected from the group consisting of 1,2-propylenediol, 1,3-propylenediol, dipropylene glycol, and mixtures thereof,
c. from 0 to 15 parts by weight of compatible plasticizer,
d. from 0 to 15 parts by weight of compatible coupling agent,
e. from 0 to 20 parts by weight of penetrant, and
f. from 0 to 3 weight percent water, the composition being substantially free from petrolatum, mineral oil, monohydric fatty alcohols and fatty acids which are unsaturated, and monohydric alcohols, fatty acids and fatty amides which have less than 16 carbon atoms, said vehicle being particularly suitable for providing an occlusive film for releasing topically active cortico-steroids, and for distributing medication over the skin surface and maintaining it there until beneficial action occurs.
2. The vehicle of claim 1 wherein said vehicle includes
c. from 2 to 10 parts by weight of compatible plasticizer, and
d. a concentration of coupling agent sufficient to prevent visible exudation of the glycol solvent from the composition after storage for 48 hours at 45.degree.C,
e. and from 0 to 10 parts by weight penetrant.
3. The composition of claim 1 wherein the compatible plasticizer is polyethylene glycol having a molecular weight of from above 800 up to 20,000, hexanetriol, sorbitol, glycerol or mixtures thereof.
4. The composition of claim 1 wherein the compatible coupling agent is fatty acid having from 16 to 24 carbons, fatty amide having from 16 to 24 carbons, fatty acid monoester with aliphatic alcohols or mixtures thereof.
5. The vehicle of claim 1 wherein said glycol solvent is propylene glycol, said propylene glycol being admixed with a polyethylene glycol which is liquid at room temperature.
6. A vehicle of claim 5 wherein said propylene glycol is 1,2-propylenediol.
7. A vehicle of claim 5 wherein said polyethylene glycol has an average molecular weight of about 400.
8. A vehicle of claim 5 wherein said propylene glycol is 1,2-propylenediol and said polyethylene glycol has an average molecular weight of about 400.
9. The vehicle of claim 1 wherein the glycol solvent is 1,2-propylenediol.
10. The vehicle of claim 1 wherein said vehicle contains about 30 parts by weight stearly alcohol.
11. The vehicle of claim 1 wherein said vehicle contains about 30 parts by weight stearly alcohol, 5 parts by weight polyethylene glycol 6000, 5 parts by weight 1,2,6-hexanetriol and about 60 parts by weight 1,2-propylenediol.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.