|Title:||Treatment of skeletal muscle disorders with cyclobenzaprine|
|Abstract:||The present invention relates to a pharmaceutical composition providing a dosage unit of from 1 to 20 mg. of cyclobenzaprine and salts thereof useful as a skeletal muscle relaxant. It also relates to a method of treating muscular spasm and other similar muscular disorders associated with or caused by injury or arising spontaneously with no known cause by the administration of a pharmaceutical composition containing cyclobenzaprine or a salt thereof as one of the active ingredients.|
|Inventor(s):||Share; Nathan Norman (Cote St. Luc, Quebec, CA)|
|Assignee:||Merck & Co., Inc. (Rahway, NJ)|
1. A method for treating patients afflicted with disorders involving skeletal muscle hypertonic activity selected from the group consisting of muscle spasm, muscle
spasticity, muscle rigidity or muscle splinting which comprises administering to said patient a therapeutically effective and safe dosage of cyclobenzaprine of the formula ##SPC3##
or a pharmaceutically acceptable non-toxic acid addition salt thereof in an amount between 0.05 to 5 mg./kg./day of said cyclobenzaprine or salt to selectively reduce skeletal muscle hypertonic activity without significantly reducing normal muscle strength or coordination.
2. A method according to claim 1 wherein the unit dosage administered is from 1-20 mg.
3. A method according to claim 2 in which the cyclobenzaprine is administered orally.
4. A method according to claim 2 in which the cyclobenzaprine is administered parenterally.
5. A method according to claim 1 wherein the cyclobenzaprine is administered in the form of the hydrochloride.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.