|Title:||Treatment of skeletal muscle disorders with cyclobenzaprine|
|Abstract:||The present invention relates to a pharmaceutical composition providing a dosage unit of from 1 to 20 mg. of cyclobenzaprine and salts thereof useful as a skeletal muscle relaxant. It also relates to a method of treating muscular spasm and other similar muscular disorders associated with or caused by injury or arising spontaneously with no known cause by the administration of a pharmaceutical composition containing cyclobenzaprine or a salt thereof as one of the active ingredients.|
|Inventor(s):||Share; Nathan Norman (Cote St. Luc, Quebec, CA)|
|Assignee:||Merck & Co., Inc. (Rahway, NJ)|
1. A method for treating patients afflicted with disorders involving skeletal muscle hypertonic activity selected from the group consisting of muscle spasm, muscle
spasticity, muscle rigidity or muscle splinting which comprises administering to said patient a therapeutically effective and safe dosage of cyclobenzaprine of the formula ##SPC3##
or a pharmaceutically acceptable non-toxic acid addition salt thereof in an amount between 0.05 to 5 mg./kg./day of said cyclobenzaprine or salt to selectively reduce skeletal muscle hypertonic activity without significantly reducing normal muscle strength or coordination.
2. A method according to claim 1 wherein the unit dosage administered is from 1-20 mg.
3. A method according to claim 2 in which the cyclobenzaprine is administered orally.
4. A method according to claim 2 in which the cyclobenzaprine is administered parenterally.
5. A method according to claim 1 wherein the cyclobenzaprine is administered in the form of the hydrochloride.