|Title:|| 2,2-DIMETHYL- -ARYLOXY-ALKANOIC ACIDS AND SALTS AND ESTERS THEREOF|
|Abstract:||A series of 2,2-dimethyl-.omega.-phenoxyalkanoic acids and 2,2-dimethyl-.omega.-(disubstituted phenoxy)alkanoic acids having 3 to 6 methylene groups between the phenoxy group or 0 phenoxy group and the carbon atom substituted by two methyl groups; and their salts and esters. The compounds reduce serum triglyceride levels and can be produced by (a) reacting an alkali metal derivative of an isobutyric acid, salt, or ester with a phenoxyalkyl halide or a disubstituted phenoxyalkyl halide; (b) esterifying a carboxylic acid; or (c) hydrolyzing a carboxylate ester.|
|Inventor(s):|| Creger; Paul L. (Ann Arbor, MI) |
|Assignee:|| Parke, Davis & Company (Detroit, MI) |
1. A compound of the formula ##SPC9##
n is 3, 4, 5, or 6;
R is a member of the class consisting of hydrogen, pharmaceutically-acceptable salt-forming cations, and lower alkyl; and Ar is a member of the class consisting of phenyl and groups of the formula ##SPC10##
in which R.sup.2 represents lower alkyl or halogen attached to the 2- or 3-position of the phenyl ring and R.sup.3 represents lower alkyl or halogen attached to the 5-position of the phenyl ring.
2. A compound according to claim 1 wherein R represents hydrogen.
3. A compound according to claim 1 wherein R represents lower alkyl.
4. A compound according to claim 1 which is 2,2-dimethyl-5-phenoxyvaleric acid.
5. A compound according to claim 1 which is 2,2-dimethyl-6-phenoxyhexanoic acid.
6. A compound according to claim 1 which is 2,2-dimethyl-5-(2,5-xylyloxy)valeric acid.
7. A compound according to claim 1 which is 2,2-dimethyl-5-(3,5-xylyloxy)valeric acid.