DrugPatentWatch Database Preview➤ Get the DrugPatentWatch Daily Briefing
» See Plans and Pricing
« Back to Dashboard
Summary for Patent: 10,092,559
|Title:||Abuse resistant pharmaceutical compositions|
|Abstract:||The present invention relates to a composition comprising pharmaceutical active ingredients which are susceptible to, or have potential for, abuse. The invention provides an oral pharmaceutical composition comprising a first population of beads and a second population of beads. The first bead population comprises a pharmaceutically active ingredient susceptible to, or having the potential for, abuse. The second bead population comprises a gelling agent and a coating substantially surrounding the gelling agent, but containing no pharmaceutically active ingredient. The first bead population and the second bead population are physically separable, but visually indistinguishable to the naked eye. Upon ingress of water into the second population of beads, the gelling agent is caused to swell forming a viscous mass inhibiting or preventing the extraction of the active ingredient.|
|Inventor(s):||Rekhi; Gurvinder Singh (Suwanee, GA), Sidwell; Richard (Cumming, GA)|
|Assignee:||Recro Gainesville LLC (Gainesville, GA)|
1. A method of treating pain in a subject in need thereof comprising administering to the subject an oral capsule containing a composition comprising hydrocodone
bitartrate beads and gelling agent-containing beads; said gelling agent-containing beads consisting essentially of sugar spheres, polyethylene oxide, povidone and a semi-permeable coating comprising a polymer selected from the group consisting of an
ammonia methacrylate copolymer, a methacrylic acid copolymer and a combination thereof, wherein the hydrocodone bitartrate beads are substantially free of polyethylene oxide.
2. The method according to claim 1 wherein the gelling agent-containing beads consist essentially of: TABLE-US-00017 (i) sugar spheres 25.0-35.0% (w/w) (ii) polyethylene oxide 40.0-50.0% (w/w) (iii) povidone 2.5-7.5% (w/w) (iv) ammonio methacrylate copolymer 5.0-20.0% (w/w) (v) silicon dioxide 1.0-7.5% (w/w) (vi) talc 1.0-7.5% (w/w).
3. The method according to claim 1 wherein the hydrocodone bitartrate beads consist of hydrocodone bitartrate immediate release beads and hydrocodone bitartrate controlled release beads.
4. The method according to claim 3 wherein the composition consists essentially of: TABLE-US-00018 (i) hydrocodone bitartrate 5.0-50.0 mg/capsule; (ii) sugar spheres 65.0-250.0 mg/capsule; (iii) hypromellose 2.0-15.0 mg/capsule; (iv) ammonio methacrylate copolymer 7.5-40.0 mg/capsule; (v) silicon dioxide 2.5-25.0 mg/capsule; (vi) talc 1.0-7.5 mg/capsule; (vii) polyethylene oxide 30.0-100.0 mg/capsule; and (vii) povidone 2.5-12.5 mg/capsule;
wherein 20% of the hydrocodone bitartrate are present in the immediate release beads and 80% of the hydrocodone bitartrate are present in the controlled release beads.
5. The method according to claim 4 wherein the amount of hydrocodone bitartrate per capsule is 20 mg.
6. The method according to claim 4 wherein the amount of hydrocodone bitartrate per capsule is 50 mg.
Make Better Decisions: Try a trial or see plans & pricing
Serving leading biopharmaceutical companies globally:
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.