Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Dry powder inhaler and system for drug delivery|
|Abstract:||A breath-powered, dry powder inhaler, a cartridge, and a pulmonary drug delivery system are provided. The dry powder inhaler can be provided with or without a unit dose cartridge for using with the inhaler. The inhaler and/or cartridge can be provided with a drug delivery formulation comprising, for example, a diketopiperazine and an active ingredient, including, peptides and proteins such as insulin and glucagon-like peptide 1 for the treatment of diabetes and/or obesity. The dry powder inhaler is compact; can be provided in various shapes and sizes, colors, and comprises a housing, a mouthpiece, a cartridge placement area, and a mechanism for opening and closing the medicament cartridge. The device is easy to manufacture, provides a pre-metered single unit dose, it is relatively easy to use, and can be reusable or disposable.|
|Inventor(s):||Smutney; Chad C. (Watertown, CT), Kinsey; P. Spencer (Sandy Hook, CT), Sahi; Carl R. (Coventry, CT), Adamo; Benoit (Mount Kisco, NY), Polidoro; John M. (Coventry, CT), McLean; Scott (Waterbury, CT), Overfield; Dennis (Fairfield, CT), Kraft; Kelly S. (Poughquag, NY), Somerville; Karla (Corona, CA)|
|Assignee:||MannKind Corporation (Valencia, CA)|
|Filing Date:||Oct 21, 2014|
|Claims:||1. Fumaryl diketopiperazine (FDKP) microparticles comprising a trans isomer content of about 45% to 59% and further comprising an active agent. |
2. The FDKP microparticles according to claim 1, wherein said trans isomer content is from about 49% to 58%.
3. The FDKP microparticles according to claim 1, wherein said trans isomer content is from about 53% to 56%.
4. The FDKP microparticles of claim 1 wherein the active agent comprises at least one of a protein, polypeptide, or peptide; a nucleic acid; a synthetic organic compound; an inorganic compound; a polysaccharide or other sugar; a fatty acid; a lipid; heparin; felbamate; sumatriptan; argatroban; azidothymidine (AZT); didanosine (DDI); lamotrigine; or an antibody or fragment thereof.
5. The FDKP microparticles of claim 4, wherein the active agent comprises a protein, polypeptide, or peptide.
6. The FDKP microparticles of claim 4, wherein the active agent comprises an antibody or fragment thereof.
7. The FDKP microparticles of claim 1 wherein the active agent comprises at least one of a vasoactive agent, a neuroactive agent, a hormone, an anticoagulant, an immunomodulating agent, a vaccine, an antibiotic, an anesthetic or sedative, a decongestant, antisense, a cytotoxic agent, an antiviral agent, or an antigen.
8. The FDKP microparticles of claim 7 wherein the active agent is a hormone.
9. The FDKP microparticles of claim 7 wherein the active agent is a vasoactive agent.
10. The FDKP microparticles of claim 1 wherein the active agent comprises at least one of a protein or peptide, or analogs, active fragments, or O-glycosylated forms thereof, wherein said protein or peptide is insulin erythropoietin, chorionic gonadotropin releasing factor, luteinizing releasing hormone, .beta.-galactosidase, exendin, anti-SSX-2.sub.41-49 (synovial sarcoma, X breakpoint 2), anti-NY-ESO-1 (esophageal tumor associated antigen), anti-PRAME (preferentially expressed antigen of melanoma), anti-PSMA (prostate-specific membrane antigen), anti-Melan-A (melanoma tumor associated antigen), anti-tyrosinase (melanoma tumor associated antigen), follicle stimulating hormone (FSH), Bruton's tyrosine kinase (BTK), inositol-requiring kinase 1 (IRE1), a growth hormone, parathyroid hormone (PTH), parathyroid hormone related peptide (PTHrP), granulocyte macrophage colony stimulating factor (GM-CSF), glucagon-like peptide 1 (GLP-1), oxyntomodulin (OXN), peptide YY(3-36) (PYY), calcitonin, or vasoactive intestinal peptide.
11. The FDKP microparticles of claim 10 wherein the active agent is oxyntomodulin.
12. The FDKP microparticles of claim 10 wherein the active agent is GLP-1.
13. The FDKP microparticles of claim 10 wherein the active agent is PYY.
14. A method of delivering an active agent comprising administering the microparticles of claim 10 to a person in need thereof.
15. The method of claim 14 wherein said microparticles are administered using an inhalation system for delivering a dry powder medicament to a pulmonary tract, the system comprising a dry powder inhaler configured to have at least two inlet apertures, wherein a first inlet aperture is in fluid communication with a first air flow pathway and a second inlet aperture is in fluid communication with a second air flow pathway, the second air flow pathway configured to bypass a container area, and wherein the first airflow pathway and the second air flow pathway converge in a substantially perpendicular manner; and wherein the air flow pathway configured to bypass the container area delivers 30% to 90% of a total flow going through the inhaler during an inhalation.
16. The method of claim 15, said inhaler further comprising a container comprising a dry powder medicament mounted to the container area such that the container is in fluid communication with the first inlet aperture such that the first air flow pathway passes through the container before the first air flow pathway and the second air flow pathway converge.
17. The method of claim 15 wherein 10% to 70% of the total flow going through the inhaler during an inhalation transits through the container prior to merging with the second air flow pathway.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.