Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Maintenance of platelet inhibition during antiplatelet therapy|
|Abstract:||A method for reducing or maintaining platelet inhibition in a patient by administering cangrelor prior to an invasive procedure is described. The method of this invention can be used for patients in need of antiplatelet therapy or at risk of thrombosis. The method can further be used in patients who were previously treated with long-acting platelet inhibitors without increasing the risk of excessive bleeding.|
|Inventor(s):||Ruderman Chen; Lisa (Rye, NY), Skerjanec; Simona (Basel, CH), Bell; Dawn (Morristown, NJ), Prats; Jayne (Carlisle, MA), Todd; Meredith (Hoboken, NJ)|
|Assignee:||The Medicines Company (Parsippany, NY)|
|Filing Date:||May 05, 2014|
|Claims:||1. A method of maintaining P2Y.sub.12 inhibition in a patient being treated with an oral P2Y.sub.12 inhibitor who is in need of surgery, the method comprising: (a) discontinuing the treatment with the oral P2Y.sub.12 inhibitor; (b) administering intravenously a 0.75 .mu.g/kg/min continuous infusion of cangrelor; and (c) discontinuing the administration of cangrelor at least about one hour prior to administration of anesthesia for the surgery. |
2. The method of claim 1, wherein the patient has acute coronary syndrome (ACS).
3. The method of claim 1, wherein the patient has a stent.
4. The method of claim 1, wherein cangrelor is administered as quickly as possible following the discontinuation of treatment with the oral P2Y.sub.12 inhibitor.
5. The method of claim 1, wherein the oral P2Y.sub.12 inhibitor is a thienopyridine.
6. The method of claim 5, wherein cangrelor is administered within about 5 days of the discontinuation of treatment with the thienopyridine.
7. The method of claim 5, wherein administration of cangrelor is discontinued after no longer than about 7 days from initiation of administration of cangrelor.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.