|Title:||Inhalation device and method|
|Abstract:||The present disclosure provides a method and device for delivering a pharmaceutical to the airway of a human or animal patient. In one aspect, the device includes a dose drum formed into a cylinder and including a plurality of dose compartments for containing individual doses. In another aspect, the device may include a reservoir containing a pharmaceutical material in bulk form and a metering recess for metering the pharmaceutical material to form a pharmaceutical dose. Another aspect provides an inhaler with a combined reservoir and dosing chamber configured to contain multiple doses of a pharmaceutical material.|
|Inventor(s):||Akouka; Henri M. (Mount Laurel, NJ), Becker; Daniel P. (Washington Crossing, PA)|
|Assignee:||Microdose Therapeutx, Inc. (Monmouth Junction, NJ)|
|Filing Date:||Jan 05, 2011|
|Claims:||1. An inhaler for delivering a pharmaceutical to the airway of a human or animal patient, comprising: a housing having an air inlet, the housing containing a vibrating device and a motor or mechanical advancing mechanism; a removable cartridge formed to interface with the housing, the cartridge forming a loop surrounding an opening formed completely through a center portion of the cartridge, wherein the removable cartridge further comprises: a strip arranged within the loop of the cartridge having a plurality of blisters containing individual doses of a pharmaceutical; a flow channel; an aerosol chamber connected to the flow channel, wherein the aerosol chamber and the vibrating device form a resonance chamber for deaggregating the pharmaceutical; a mouthpiece connected to the flow channel for delivering the pharmaceutical to the patient; a device for advancing the strip relative to the aerosol chamber; and a device for opening an individual blister adjacent the aerosol chamber whereupon an individual dose of the pharmaceutical is delivered to the aerosol chamber; wherein the air inlet interfaces with the flow channel of the cartridge, and wherein the vibrating device interfaces with the aerosol chamber. |
2. The inhaler of claim 1, further comprising a sealing ring positioned at the location where the air inlet of the housing interfaces with the flow channel of the cartridge.
3. The inhaler of claim 1, wherein the housing further includes a pressure sensor located in or near the air inlet.
4. The inhaler of claim 1, wherein the device for advancing the strip is driven by the motor or at least one mechanical advancing mechanism contained within the housing and selected from the group consisting of a thumb-screw, lever or clock mechanism.
5. The inhaler of claim 1, wherein the vibrating device is a piezoelectric device.
6. The inhaler of claim 1, wherein the pharmaceutical is in a powder form.
7. The inhaler of claim 1, wherein the removable cartridge is reusable.