Generated: April 29, 2017
|Title:||Sustained drug release composition|
|Abstract:||The invention relates to a sustained release formulation for delivering one or more pharmaceutically active agents. The formulation comprises cross-linked high amylose starch and at least one pharmaceutically active agent, and optionally can be subdivided into smaller dosage forms where the smaller dosage forms have substantially the same sustained release properties as the formulation from which they were derived. The formulations can provide sustained release for up to at least 24 hours, and because of their divisability permits a recipient of the active agent or the person administering the active agent to titrate the dosage of the agent.|
|Inventor(s):||Gervais; Sonia (Laval, CA), Smith; Damon (Saint-Laurent, CA), Contamin; Pauline (Magny En Vexin, FR), Ouzerourou; Rachid (Anjou, CA), Ma; My Linh (Saint-Laurent, CA)|
|Assignee:||Angelini Pharma, Inc. (Gaithersburg, MD)|
|Filing Date:||Oct 15, 2010|
|Claims:||1. A solid, monolithic sustained release pharmaceutical composition having an outer surface, the composition comprising: a. a sustained release matrix having a solvent accessible surface, the matrix comprising from about 15% to about 85% by weight of a controlled release excipient selected from the group consisting of cross-linked high amylose starch, hydroxypropylmethylcellulose and a combination thereof; and b. an effective amount of at least one pharmaceutically active agent disposed within the matrix, the composition having a hardness of greater than 100 N, and the outer surface of the composition defining at least one score that permits the composition to be fractured along the score to produce at least two subunits, wherein at least one of the subunits and an intact form of the composition have substantially the same release kinetics of the active agent disposed therein and their dissolution profiles have a similarity factor of at least 60%, and wherein, if the outer surface comprises a coating surrounding the matrix, the coating does not affect the release kinetics of the active agent disposed within the matrix. |
2. The composition of claim 1, wherein the hardness is in the range of about 100 N to about 350 N.
3. The composition of claim 1, wherein the composition, when administered to a mammal, achieves an effective plasma concentration of the active agent from at least about 1 hour to at least about 24 hours after initial administration.
4. The composition of claim 2, wherein the composition has a hardness in the range of from about 100 N to about 180 N.
5. The composition of claim 1, wherein at least one of the subunits created by fracturing the composition has a new solvent accessible surface.
6. The composition of claim 5, wherein the new solvent accessible surface is capable of forming a barrier upon contact with a solvent.
7. The composition of claim 1, wherein the subunits and an intact form of the composition are bioequivalent.
8. The composition of claim 1 comprising from about 20% to about 50% by weight of the active ingredient and from about 20% to about 50% by weight of the controlled release excipient.
9. The composition of claim 8 comprising from about 35% to about 50% by weight of the active ingredient and from about 20% to about 50% by weight of the controlled release excipient.
10. The composition of claim 1, wherein the starch is crosslinked with phosphorus oxychloride.
11. The composition of claim 1, wherein the starch comprises hydroxypropyl side chains.
12. The composition of claim 1, wherein the active agent is selected from the group consisting of an antidepressant or an analgesic.
13. The composition of claim 12, wherein the antidepressant is trazodone.
14. The composition of claim 1, wherein the composition is in the form of a tablet.
15. The composition of claim 1, wherein the composition is in the form of a caplet.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.