DrugPatentWatch Database Preview
« Back to Dashboard
|Title:||Sustained release drug delivery devices, methods of use, and methods of manufacturing thereof|
|Abstract:||A method and device for treating a mammalian organism to obtain a desired local or systemic physiological or pharmacological effect is provided. The method includes administering a sustained release drug delivery system to a mammalian organism in need of such treatment at an area wherein release of an effective agent is desired and allowing the effective agent to pass through the device in a controlled manner. The device includes an inner core or reservoir including the effective agent, an impermeable tube which encloses portions of the reservoir, and a permeable member at an end of the tube.|
|Inventor(s):||Guo; Hong (Wayland, MA), Ashton; Paul (Newton, MA)|
|Assignee:||pSivida US, Inc. (Watertown, MA)|
|Filing Date:||Jan 15, 2010|
|Claims:||1. A method of manufacturing a sustained drug delivery system, comprising positioning a drug core in an impermeable tube, said drug core containing a therapeutically effective amount of an active agent, wherein said impermeable tube is dimensionally stable and capable of supporting its own weight; cross-sectionally cutting the tube into sections; and forming a permeable outer layer around at least a portion of a section. |
2. The method according to claim 1, wherein the outer layer is formed by dipping, dropping, spraying, or brushing the section with a solution of polymer.
3. The method according to claim 1, further comprising positioning an end member to said tube to form a closed-end tube, said end member selected from an impermeable cap and a permeable plug.
4. A method in accordance with claim 3, wherein positioning an end member comprises joining said end member to a length of said tube to form a vessel-shaped member.
5. A method in accordance with claim 4, wherein said joining comprises coupling an impermeable cap to said length of tube.
6. The method of claim 1, wherein the active agent is fluocinolone acetonide.