Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Drive mechanisms suitable for use in drug delivery devices|
|Abstract:||The present disclosure is directed to a dose setting mechanism that may be used with a drug delivery device. The dose setting mechanism may include an inner body having a helical thread along an outer cylindrical surface of the inner body, and a drive sleeve for driving a piston rod in an axial direction, the drive sleeve positioned within at least a portion of the inner body. The dose setting mechanism may further include a dose dial sleeve rotatably engaged with the helical thread of the inner body and a dial grip connected to the dose dial sleeve and releasably connected to the drive sleeve. Further when a dose is set, the dial grip is rotated so that both the dose dial sleeve and the drive sleeve rotate with respect to the inner body.|
|Inventor(s):||Veasey; Robert Frederick (Leamington Spa, GB), Langley; Christopher Nigel (Leamington Spa, GB), Wimpenny; Steven (Leamington Spa, GB)|
|Assignee:||DCA Design International Ltd. (Warwick, GB)|
|Filing Date:||Oct 25, 2011|
|Claims:||1. A drug delivery drive mechanism, comprising: an first housing; a second housing configured to reside at least partially internally to said first housing; a dial sleeve provided outside of said second housing and radially inward from said first housing, said dial sleeve threadedly engaged to said second housing; a drive sleeve coupled to said dial sleeve; and a piston rod threadedly engaged to said drive sleeve wherein during a dose setting step, said dial sleeve and said drive sleeve translate in a proximal direction away from said second housing. |
2. The drug delivery drive mechanism of claim 1 wherein during a dispensing step, said dial sleeve moves in a distal direction towards said second housing.
3. The drug delivery device of claim 2 wherein during the dispensing step, said drive sleeve moves in said distal direction so as to drive said piston rod.
4. The drug delivery drive mechanism of claim 1 wherein said piston rod comprises a first thread and a second thread.
5. The drug delivery drive mechanism of claim 4 wherein said first thread of said piston rod engages a threaded insert, so that during a dispensing step, said piston rod rotates as it moves in a distal direction.
6. The drug delivery drive mechanism of claim 5 wherein said threaded insert is formed integrally with said first housing.
7. The drug delivery drive mechanism of claim 4 wherein said second thread of said piston rod threadedly engages said drive sleeve.
8. The drug delivery drive mechanism of claim 7 wherein a thread of said drive sleeve and said thread of said dial sleeve have the same lead.
9. The drug delivery drive mechanism of claim 1 further comprising a clutch, said clutch releasably engaging said dial sleeve and said drive sleeve.
10. The drug delivery drive mechanism of claim 9 wherein said clutch is keyed in rotation to said drive sleeve.
11. The drug delivery drive mechanism of claim 1 wherein said drive sleeve comprises a first radially extending flange and a second radially extending flange, said second radially extending flange spaced a distance along said drive sleeve from said first flange.
12. The drug delivery drive mechanism of claim 11 wherein said drive sleeve further comprises an external helical thread, said external helical thread provided along an outer portion of said drive sleeve, said external helical thread extending between the first flange and said second flange.
13. The drug delivery drive mechanism of claim 12 further comprising a non-rotating member disposed between said first flange and said second flange of said drive sleeve, said non-rotating member comprising a thread that threadedly engages said external thread of said drive sleeve.
14. The drug delivery drive mechanism of claim 13 wherein during said dose setting step, said non-rotating member advances along said external thread of said drive sleeve during rotation of said drive sleeve such that when a quantity of product that is equivalent to a deliverable volume of a cartridge is selected, said member abuts said first or said second flange of said drive sleeve.
15. The drug delivery drive mechanism of claim 14 wherein said second housing portion comprises a plurality of longitudinally directed splines, said longitudinally directed splines keyed to an outer surface of said non-rotating member.
16. The drug delivery drive mechanism of claim 1 further comprising a clicker disposed about said drive sleeve, such that said clicker provides audible feedback during said dose setting step.
17. The drug delivery drive mechanism of claim 1 further comprising a dial grip, said dial grip secured against rotational and axial motion with respect to said dial sleeve.
18. The drug delivery device mechanism of claim 17 wherein during said dose setting step, said dial grip is rotatable in a first direction to set a first dose and is also rotatable in a second direction to set a second dose wherein said second dose is less than said first dose.
19. The drug delivery drive mechanism of claim 1 wherein an inner portion of said dial sleeve threadedly engages an outer portion of said second housing.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.