Manage your formulary budget
Deep knowledge on
small-molecule drugs and
the 110,000 global patents
Anticipate generic drug launch
Drug patents …
… from Kazakhstan to Kalamazoo
Proactively manage your pharmacy inventory
Find generic entry opportunities
Flat-rate pricing for predictable budgeting
Short-term plans for project- or client-based billing
Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Oral suspension of prednisolone acetate|
|Abstract:||The present invention relates to novel oral suspension formulation comprising prednisolone acetate, a pharmaceutically acceptable vehicle and a thickening agent. The present invention further provides a method of treating patients in need of prednisolone with the novel formulation.|
|Inventor(s):||Asotra; Satish (Brampton, CA), Gao; Shen (Bolton, CA), Yacobi; Avraham (Englewood, NJ)|
|Assignee:||Taro Pharmaceuticals North America, Inc. (Grand Cayman, KY)|
|Filing Date:||May 30, 2012|
|Claims:||1. A pharmaceutical composition comprising a pharmaceutically effective amount of micronized prednisolone acetate particles dispersed in suspension in the composition, wherein the composition is suitable for oral delivery, comprises components that are mutually compatible, comprises carbomer and a wetting agent, has a pH between about 4.0 and 5.9, is palatable, and is storage stable. |
2. The composition of claim 1, wherein the pH is between about 4.6 and about 5.4.
3. The composition of claim 1, wherein the wetting agent is poloxamer.
4. The composition of claim 1, wherein the composition comprises an aqueous vehicle.
5. The pharmaceutical composition of claim 1, wherein the prednisolone acetate remains dispersed in the suspension without agitation during the shelf life of the composition and has a crystalline stability such that the prednisolone particles stay within a target particle size range over time.
6. The pharmaceutical composition of claim 1, wherein the composition is spill-resistant.
7. The pharmaceutical composition of claim 1, wherein the composition, when administered to humans, exhibits pharmacokinetic parameters within the 80-125% confidence interval, with a statistical power of at least 80%, of one or more of the following values: a. C.sub.max of 176.27 ng/mL; b. T.sub.max of 1.00 hour; c. AUC.sub.T of 812.39 ngh/mL; d. AUC.sub..infin. of 846.53 ngh/mL; e. K.sub.el of 0.2629 hr.sup.-1; and f. T.sub.1/2el of 2.66 hours; and wherein the composition is suitable for oral delivery.
8. The pharmaceutical composition of claim 7, comprising from about 0.5 mg/mL to about 5 mg/mL of prednisolone acetate.
9. The pharmaceutical composition of claim 7, wherein the wetting agent is poloxamer.
10. The pharmaceutical composition of claim 7, comprising from about 0.5 mg/mL to about 5 mg/mL of prednisolone acetate, water, glycerin, sorbitol in an amount up to about 20% (w/w), propylene glycol in an amount up to about 20% (w/w), wetting agent in an amount up to about 3% (w/w) and carbomer in an amount up to about 1% (w/w).
11. The pharmaceutical composition of claim 7, comprising: a. from about 5 mg/5 mL to about 15 mg/5 mL prednisolone acetate in suspension in the composition; b. 0.1% poloxamer 188; c. 50% glycerin; d. 5% sorbitol crystalline; e. 5% propylene glycol; f. 0.065% edetate disodium; g. 0.2% sucralose; h. carbomer in an amount up to about 1%; i. 0.04% butylparaben; and j. sodium hydroxide.
12. The pharmaceutical composition of claim 7, wherein the composition exhibits an in vitro dissolution profile of about 82% to about 85% released after about 15 minutes, about 93% to about 95% released after about 30 minutes, about 95% to about 97% released after about 45 minutes and about 96% to about 97% released after about 60 minutes.
13. A method for treating a patient in need of prednisolone, comprising the step of orally administering a therapeutically effective amount of the pharmaceutical composition of claim 1.
14. The method of claim 13, wherein the patient is suffering from a medical condition selected from the group consisting of endocrine disorders, rheumatic disorders, collagen diseases, dermatologic diseases, allergic states, respiratory diseases, hematologic disorders, neoplastic diseases, edema, gastrointestinal diseases and nervous diseases.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.