Proactively manage your pharmacy inventory
Manage your formulary budget
Drug patents …
… from Kazakhstan to Kalamazoo
Find generic entry opportunities
Deep knowledge on
small-molecule drugs and
the 110,000 global patents
Anticipate generic drug launch
|Title:||Oral suspension of prednisolone acetate|
|Abstract:||The present invention relates to novel oral suspension formulation comprising prednisolone acetate, a pharmaceutically acceptable vehicle and a thickening agent. The present invention further provides a method of treating patients in need of prednisolone with the novel formulation.|
|Inventor(s):||Asotra; Satish (Brampton, CA), Gao; Shen (Bolton, CA), Yacobi; Avraham (Englewood, NJ)|
|Assignee:||Taro Pharmaceuticals North America, Inc. (Grand Cayman, KY)|
|Filing Date:||May 30, 2012|
|Claims:||1. A pharmaceutical composition comprising a pharmaceutically effective amount of micronized prednisolone acetate particles dispersed in suspension in the composition, wherein the composition is suitable for oral delivery, comprises components that are mutually compatible, comprises carbomer and a wetting agent, has a pH between about 4.0 and 5.9, is palatable, and is storage stable. |
2. The composition of claim 1, wherein the pH is between about 4.6 and about 5.4.
3. The composition of claim 1, wherein the wetting agent is poloxamer.
4. The composition of claim 1, wherein the composition comprises an aqueous vehicle.
5. The pharmaceutical composition of claim 1, wherein the prednisolone acetate remains dispersed in the suspension without agitation during the shelf life of the composition and has a crystalline stability such that the prednisolone particles stay within a target particle size range over time.
6. The pharmaceutical composition of claim 1, wherein the composition is spill-resistant.
7. The pharmaceutical composition of claim 1, wherein the composition, when administered to humans, exhibits pharmacokinetic parameters within the 80-125% confidence interval, with a statistical power of at least 80%, of one or more of the following values: a. C.sub.max of 176.27 ng/mL; b. T.sub.max of 1.00 hour; c. AUC.sub.T of 812.39 ngh/mL; d. AUC.sub..infin. of 846.53 ngh/mL; e. K.sub.el of 0.2629 hr.sup.-1; and f. T.sub.1/2el of 2.66 hours; and wherein the composition is suitable for oral delivery.
8. The pharmaceutical composition of claim 7, comprising from about 0.5 mg/mL to about 5 mg/mL of prednisolone acetate.
9. The pharmaceutical composition of claim 7, wherein the wetting agent is poloxamer.
10. The pharmaceutical composition of claim 7, comprising from about 0.5 mg/mL to about 5 mg/mL of prednisolone acetate, water, glycerin, sorbitol in an amount up to about 20% (w/w), propylene glycol in an amount up to about 20% (w/w), wetting agent in an amount up to about 3% (w/w) and carbomer in an amount up to about 1% (w/w).
11. The pharmaceutical composition of claim 7, comprising: a. from about 5 mg/5 mL to about 15 mg/5 mL prednisolone acetate in suspension in the composition; b. 0.1% poloxamer 188; c. 50% glycerin; d. 5% sorbitol crystalline; e. 5% propylene glycol; f. 0.065% edetate disodium; g. 0.2% sucralose; h. carbomer in an amount up to about 1%; i. 0.04% butylparaben; and j. sodium hydroxide.
12. The pharmaceutical composition of claim 7, wherein the composition exhibits an in vitro dissolution profile of about 82% to about 85% released after about 15 minutes, about 93% to about 95% released after about 30 minutes, about 95% to about 97% released after about 45 minutes and about 96% to about 97% released after about 60 minutes.
13. A method for treating a patient in need of prednisolone, comprising the step of orally administering a therapeutically effective amount of the pharmaceutical composition of claim 1.
14. The method of claim 13, wherein the patient is suffering from a medical condition selected from the group consisting of endocrine disorders, rheumatic disorders, collagen diseases, dermatologic diseases, allergic states, respiratory diseases, hematologic disorders, neoplastic diseases, edema, gastrointestinal diseases and nervous diseases.