Generated: April 25, 2017
|Title:||Propellant-based nanoparticulate dry powder aerosols and method of making|
|Abstract:||There invention discloses aqueous dispersions of nanoparticulate aerosol formulations, dry powder nanoparticulate aerosol formulation, propellant-based aerosol formulations, methods of using the formulations in aerosol delivery devices, and methods of making such formulations. The nanoparticles of the aqueous dispersions or dry powder formulations comprise insoluble drug particles having a surface modifier on the surface thereof.|
|Inventor(s):||Bosch; H. William (Bryn Mawr, PA), Ostrander; Kevin D. (Reading, PA), Cooper; Eugene R. (Berwyn, PA)|
|Assignee:||Alkermes Pharma Ireland Limited (County Westmeath, IE)|
|Filing Date:||Jan 26, 2009|
|Claims:||1. A method for making a propellant-based dry powder composition, comprising: (a) obtaining dry powder of a nanoparticulate drug composition; and then (b) dispersing the dry powder in at least one propellant, wherein the nanoparticulate drug composition: (i) comprises a poorly soluble drug, (ii) has an effective average particle size of less than 1000 nm or equal to about 1000 nm, and (iii) has a surface modifier adsorbed on the surface of the drug particles, and wherein step (a) comprises: (i) forming an aqueous nanoparticulate dispersion of the drug and surface modifier; and (ii) spray-drying or freeze-drying the nanoparticulate dispersion to form a dry powder of spherically shaped aggregates of the nanoparticulate drug and surface modifier, wherein the aggregates have a diameter of less than 100 microns or equal to about 100 microns. |
2. The method of claim 1, further comprising adding a diluent to the nanoparticulate dispersion prior to spray-drying.
3. The method of claim 2, wherein the diluent is lactose or mannitol.
4. The method of claim 1, further comprising adding a diluent to the nanoparticulate dispersion prior to freeze-drying.
5. The method of claim 4, wherein the diluent is lactose or mannitol.
6. The method of claim 1, wherein the propellant is selected from the group consisting of a chlorinated propellant, a non-chlorinated propellant, a hydrofluorinated alkane, and a halogenated hydrocarbon propellant having a low boiling point.
7. The method of claim 1, wherein the drug is selected from the group consisting of proteins, peptides, elastase inhibitors, analgesics, a drug for treating cystic-fibrosis, a drug for treating asthma, a drug for treating emphysema, a drug for treating respiratory distress syndrome, a drug for treating chronic bronchitis, a drug for treating chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, a drug for treating organ-transplant rejection a drug for treating tuberculosis and other infections of the lung, a drug for treating fungal infection, a drug for treating respiratory illness caused by acquired immune deficiency syndrome, an oncology drug, an anti-emetic, a cardiovascular agent, beclomethasone dipropionate, naproxen, triamcinolone acetonide, budesonide, and an anti-emetic.
8. The method of claim 1, wherein the surface modifier is selected from the group consisting of a nonionic surfactant and an ionic surfactant.
9. The method of claim 1, wherein the surface modifier is selected from the group consisting of tyloxapol, cetyl pyridinium chloride, gelatin, casein, lecithin, dextran, glycerol, gum acacia, cholesterol, tragacanth, stearic acid, benzalkonium chloride, calcium stearate, glycerol monostearate, cetostearyl alcohol, cetomacrogol emulsifying wax, sorbitan esters, polyoxyethylene alkyl ethers, polyoxyethylene castor oil, polyoxyethylene sorbitan fatty acid esters; polyethylene glycols, dodecyl trimethyl ammonium bromide, polyoxyethylene stearates, colloidal silicon dioxide, phosphates, sodium dodecylsulfate, carboxymethylcellulose calcium, hydroxypropyl cellulose, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, carboxymethylcellulose sodium, methylcellulose, hydroxyethylcellulose, hydroxypropylcellulose, hydroxypropylmethyl-cellulose phthalate, noncrystalline cellulose, magnesium aluminum silicate, triethanolamine, polyvinyl alcohol, polyvinylpyrrolidone, 4-(1,1,3,3-tetramethylbutyl)-phenol polymer with ethylene oxide and formaldehyde, poloxamers, poloxamines, a charged phospholipid, dioctylsulfosuccinate (DOSS), dialkylesters of sodium sulfosuccinic acid, sodium lauryl sulfate, alkyl aryl polyether, sulfonate, a mixture of sucrose stearate and sucrose distearate, p-isononylphenoxypoly-(glycidol), C.sub.18H.sub.37CH.sub.2(CON(CH.sub.3)--CH.sub.2(CHOH).sub.4(CH.sub.20H).- sub.2, decanoyl-N-methylglucamide, n-decyl .beta.-D-glucopyranoside, n-decyl .beta.-D-maltopyranoside, n-dodecyl .beta.-D-glucopyranoside, n-dodecyl .beta.-D-maltoside, heptanoyl-N-methylglucamide, n-heptyl-.beta.-D-glucopyranoside, n-heptyl .beta.-D-thioglucoside, n-hexyl .beta.-D-glucopyranoside, nonanoyl-N-methylglucamide, n-noyl .beta.-D-glucopyranoside, octanoyl-N-methylglucamide, n-octyl-.beta.-D-glucopyranoside, octyl .beta.-D-thioglucopyranoside.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.