|Title:||Human lysosomal proteins from plant cell culture|
|Abstract:|| A device, system and method for producing glycosylated proteins in plant culture, particularly proteins having a high mannose glycosylation, while targeting such proteins with an ER signal and/or by-passing the Golgi. The invention further relates to vectors and methods for expression and production of enzymatically active high mannose lysosomal enzymes using transgenic plant root, particularly carrot cells. More particularly, the invention relates to host cells, particularly transgenic suspended carrot cells, vectors and methods for high yield expression and production of biologically active high mannose Glucocerebrosidase (GCD). The invention further provides for compositions and methods for the treatment of lysosomal storage diseases.|
|Inventor(s):|| Shaaltiel; Yoseph (Doar-Na Galil Elyon, IL), Baum; Gideon (D.N. Upper Galilee, IL), Bartfeld; Daniel (Kiryat Shmona, IL), Hashmueli; Sharon (Yesod-HaMaala, IL), Lewkowicz; Ayala (Kfar-Vradim, IL) |
|Assignee:|| Protalix Ltd. (Carmiel, IL) |
|Filing Date:||Apr 30, 2007|
|Claims:||1. An isolated nucleic acid sequence encoding a human glucocerebrosidase protein having an amino acid sequence as set forth in SEQ ID NO: 15. |
2. The isolated nucleic acid of claim 1, wherein said nucleic acid sequence is as set forth in SEQ ID NO: 13.
3. A nucleic acid construct capable of expression in a plant cell comprising the isolated nucleic acid of claim 1.
4. An isolated cell comprising the nucleic acid construct of claim 3.
5. The cell of claim 4, recombinantly producing said human glucocerebrosidase.
6. The cell of claim 4, wherein said human lysosomal protein is recombinantly produced so as to have at least one xylose and at least one exposed mannose residue.
7. The cell of claim 4, wherein said human lysosomal protein is recombinantly produced so as to have at least one core .alpha.-(1,2) xylose and at least one core .alpha.-(1,3) fucose.
8. The cell of claim 4, wherein said cell is a plant cell.
9. The cell of claim 8, wherein said plant cell is a plant root cell selected from the group consisting of Agrobacterium rihzogenes transformed root cell, celery cell, ginger cell, horseradish cell and carrot cell.
10. The cell of claim 9, wherein said plant cell is a carrot cell.
11. A method of producing a recombinant human glucocerebrosidase protein comprising: preparing a culture of recombinant cells transformed or transfected with the nucleic acid construct of claim 3; and culturing said cell culture under conditions permitting the expression of said protein, wherein said cells produce said glucocerebrosidase protein having an amino acid sequence as set forth in SEQ ID NO: 15 and at least one xylose residue.
12. The method of claim 11, wherein said cell culture is cultured in suspension.
13. The method of claim 11, further comprising: purifying said protein.
14. The method according to claim 11, wherein said cell is as defined by claim 6.
15. The method according to claim 11, wherein said lysosomal protein binds to a mannose receptor on a macrophage.
16. The method according to claim 15, wherein said lysosomal protein has increased affinity for said macrophage, in comparison with the corresponding affinity of a naturally occurring lysosomal protein to said macrophage.