Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Aerosol forming device for use in inhalation therapy|
|Abstract:||The present invention relates to the inhalation delivery of aerosols containing small particles. Specifically, it relates to a device that forms drug containing aerosols for use in inhalation therapy. In a device aspect of the present invention, a device for delivering drug containing aerosols for inhalation therapy is provided. The device includes a housing and an airway that has a gas/vapor mixing airway. The airway further includes a subassembly, which has a metallic substrate coated on its surface with a composition comprising a drug.|
|Inventor(s):||Hodges; Craig C. (Walnut Creek, CA), Lloyd; Peter M. (Walnut Creek, CA), Mufson; Daniel (Napa, CA), Rogers; Daniel D. (Oakland, CA), Wensley; Martin J. (San Francisco, CA)|
|Assignee:||Alexza Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (Mountain View, CA)|
|Filing Date:||May 13, 2002|
|Claims:||1. A device for delivering a drug containing aerosol to a patient by inhalation comprising: (a) a housing comprising an inlet, an outlet; (b) an airway extending from the inlet to the outlet; (c) a subassembly in the airway comprising a substrate having a surface; (d) a composition comprising a drug deposited on the substrate surface; and (e) a heater system for heating an area of the substrate surface; (f) wherein upon inhalation by said patient, cooling air enters the device through said inlet and passes through said airway over the surface of the deposited composition; (g) wherein the airway contains a restricted cross-sectional area along the heated area of the substrate surface configured to increase the speed of the cooling air passing over the surface of the deposited composition such that upon heating of the composition to a vaporization temperature to begin vaporization of the composition the resulting composition vapors are removed from the heated area and cooled below the vaporization temperature by the cooling air without significant decomposition of the vaporized composition; and (h) wherein the restricted cross-sectional area is configured to create an increased velocity and mixing region that has an area that is larger than the heated area of the substrate. |
2. The device according to claim 1, wherein the heater system is a resistance heater.
3. The device according to claim 1, wherein, the substrate comprises stainless steel.
4. The device according to claim 1, wherein the heater system is an inductive heater.
5. The device according to claim 1, wherein the airway comprises means for causing turbulence as cooling air moves through the airway.
6. The device according to claim 1, wherein the heater system is capable of heating the substrate at a rate of at least 1000.degree. C/sec.
7. The device according to claim 1, wherein the deposited composition has a thickness between 10 nm and 10 .mu.m.
8. The device according to claim 7, wherein the drug has a decomposition index of less than 0.15.
9. The device according to claim 7, wherein the drug has a decomposition index of less than 0.05.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.