Anticipate generic drug launch
Proactively manage your pharmacy inventory
Manage your formulary budget
Deep knowledge on
small-molecule drugs and
the 110,000 global patents
Find generic entry opportunities
Drug patents …
… from Kazakhstan to Kalamazoo
Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Methods for the treatment or inhibition of ileus|
|Abstract:||Methods for the treatment of ileus are disclosed wherein the peripheral mu opioid antagonist methylnaltrexone is administered.|
|Inventor(s):||Farrar; John J. (Chester Springs, PA), Schied; Peter J. (Southampton, PA), Schmidt; William K. (Newark, DE), Carpenter; Randall L. (Waban, MA)|
|Assignee:||Adolor Corporation (Exton, PA)|
|Filing Date:||Jun 13, 2002|
|Claims:||1. A method of treating or inhibiting ileus comprising administering to a patient an effective amount of a peripheral mu opioid antagonist compound, wherein said peripheral mu opioid antagonist compound is the quaternary morphinan compound N-methylnaltrexone. |
2. A method according to claim 1 wherein the ileus is selected from the group consisting of postsurgical ileus and postpartum ileus.
3. A method according to claim 2 wherein the ileus is post-surgical ileus.
4. A method according to claim 3 wherein said postsurgical ileus is postsurgical paralytic ileus.
5. A method according to claim 1 wherein the ileus is ileus of the colon.
6. A method according to claim 1 wherein the ileus occurs in the absence of exogenous opioid agonists.
7. A method according to claim 1 further comprising administering an opiate or an opioid to said patient.
8. A method according to claim 7 wherein said opiate or opioid comprises an opioid analgesic.
9. A method according to claim 8 wherein said opioid analgesic comprises a mu opioid agonist.
10. A method according to claim 1 further comprising administering to said patient a compound which slows gut motility.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.