Generated: May 26, 2017
|Title:||Electrotransport delivery device having improved safety and reduced abuse potential|
|Abstract:||An electrotransport device for delivering one or more therapeutic agents through the skin includes electrodes for contacting the skin, at least one electrode containing the agent, a power source for generating electrical current (I.sub.L) for delivering the agent, a current generating and controlling means and a disabling means for permanently and irreversibly disabling the current. The disabling means may include a timer means, a counter means, or a body parameter sensor and limit comparator to effect permanent disabling. The disabling means may be a permanent transition to a disabled logic state, a permanent discharge of a power supply source, or a permanent diversion of electrotransport current from the electrodes, or a combination of the above. The permanent disabling means may include a circuit connection means having a frangible conducting member which permanently fractures and causes an irreversible open circuit in the connection to the electrodes upon removing a disposable/single use electrode assembly from a reusable portion of an electrotransport device.|
|Inventor(s):||McNichols; Larry A. (Elk River, MN), Phipps; Joseph B. (Sunnyvale, CA), Lattin; Gary A. (Nemo, SD), Badzinski; John D. (Coon Rapids, MN), Reining; Wiliam N. (Cross Plains, WI), Haak; Ronald P. (Menlo Park, CA)|
|Assignee:||ALZA Corporation (Vacaville, CA)|
|Filing Date:||Jan 18, 2006|
|Claims:||1. An electrotransport device for delivering a therapeutic agent comprising: a power source; first and second electrodes and reservoirs, at least one of the reservoirs containing the therapeutic agent; a current generating and controlling circuit configured to output no current flow when a current signal to the current controlling circuit is low and to generate current flow when the control signal to the current controlling circuit is high; a current disabling circuit in communication with the current generating and controlling circuit, the current disabling circuit configured to output only a high signal or a low signal to respectively enable or disable the current generating and controlling circuit from supplying current to the electrodes, the current disabling circuit further including a circuit disabling element configured to provide an automatic, permanent and irreversible function to change the output from a high signal to a low signal and to permanently and irreversibly disable the current generating and controlling circuit from supplying current to the electrodes, a manually activated switch for activating the current generating and controlling circuit to generate said electric current for delivering the agent by electrotransport for a predetermined time; a counter for counting the activations of said switch, the counter generating a disabling signal upon counting a predetermined number of activations of said switch; the circuit disabling element being responsive to the disabling signal for automatically and irreversibly disabling the electrotransport current generating and controlling circuit upon receiving said disabling signal. |
2. The electrotransport device of claim 1, further comprising a current sensing circuit in communication with the current generating and controlling circuit, the current sensing circuit configured to prevent inadvertent disabling of the current generating and controlling circuit.
3. The electrotransport device of claim 1, wherein the electrotransport device includes a long-range timer circuit for disabling the electrotransport device after the device has exceeded a useful shelf life.
4. The electrotransport device of claim 1, wherein the electrotransport device includes a sensing circuit which senses when at least one of the electrodes is removed from body tissue.
5. The electrotransport device of claim 4, wherein the sensing circuit includes a timer circuit which activates the electrotransport disabling if the electrodes are not connected to the body tissue within a predetermined time limit.
6. The electrotransport device of claim 1, wherein the agent comprises an abusable drug.
7. The electrotransport device of claim 6, wherein the abusable drug is a narcotic analgesic.
8. The electrotransport device of claim 6, wherein the abusable drug is selected from the group consisting of fentanyl, sufentanil, carfentanil, lofentanil, alfentanil, hydromorphone, oxycodone, propoxyphene, pentazocine, methadone, tilidine, butorphanol, buprenorphine, levorphanol, codeine, oxymorphone, meperidine, dihydrocodeinone and cocaine.