|Title:||Apparatus for delivery of ocular implants|
|Abstract:|| An apparatus and methods for delivering ocular implants or microimplants. The apparatus is ergonomically designed for ease of use, and a simple manual depression of an actuator produces proportional movement of a linkage causing the implant or microimplant to be ejected through a cannula disposed at the desired location in the eye. Small gauge cannulas are provided for self-sealing methods of delivery.|
|Inventor(s):|| Weber; David A. (Danville, CA), Kane; Ingrid (Los Altos, CA), Rehal; Mike (Boulder Creek, CA), Lathrop, III; Robert L. (Santa Clara, CA), Aptekarev; Kenny (Santa Cruz, CA), Etter; Jeffrey (Hayward, CA), Gerondale; Scott (Mission Viejo, CA), Bhagat; Rahul (Irvine, CA), Davis; Shawn (Rancho Santa Margarita, CA) |
|Assignee:|| Allergan, Inc. (Irvine, CA) |
|Filing Date:||Dec 23, 2004|
|Claims:||1. An apparatus for implanting an ocular implant into the vitreous of a patient's eye, comprising: an elongate housing having a longitudinal axis; a cannula extending longitudinally from the housing, the cannula having a lumen extending therethrough; a plunger rod received within the cannula lumen and in engagement with the implant, the plunger rob being moveable from a first to second position; and a linkage having a moveable end connected to the plunger rod, and a fixed end secured to the housing, an actuating lever having a first end pivotally mounted within the housing, and a second end in engagement with the linkage, a removable tab with a pin interposed to prevent movement of the moveable end of the linkage, and a cap for placement over a forward end of the housing, wherein, upon removable of the tab, movement of the second end of the actuating lever against the linkage in a direction normal to the housing axis causes translational movement of the moveable end of the linkage from a first to second position parallel to the housing axis, thereby moving the plunger rod from the first to the second position and ejecting the implant from the cannula. |
2. The apparatus of claim 1 further comprising an ocular implant located within the lumen cannula.
3. The apparatus of claim 2 wherein said implant is a microimplant.
4. The apparatus of claim 1 wherein said actuating lever further comprises a button extending from the housing for manual depression of the lever.
5. The apparatus of claim 1 wherein the cannula has an outer diameter of 0.032 inches or less.
6. The apparatus of claim 1 wherein the cannula has an outer diameter of approximately 0.028 inches or less.
7. The apparatus of claim 1 wherein the cannula lumen has a cross-sectional area of 0.0008 square inches or less.