Manage your formulary budget
Find generic entry opportunities
Proactively manage your pharmacy inventory
Anticipate generic drug launch
Deep knowledge on
small-molecule drugs and
the 110,000 global patents
Drug patents …
… from Kazakhstan to Kalamazoo
Flat-rate pricing for predictable budgeting
Short-term plans for project- or client-based billing
Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Pulmonary delivery of active fragments of parathyroid hormone|
|Abstract:||Systemic delivery of parathyroid hormone to a mammalian host is accomplished by inhalation through the mouth of a dispersion of an N-terminal fragment of PTH. It has been found that such respiratory delivery of the PTH fragment provides a pulsatile concentration profile of the PTH in the host's serum. PTH fragment compositions include dry powder formulations having the PTH present in a dry bulking powder, liquid solutions or suspensions suitable for nebulization, and aerosol propellants suitable for use in a metered dose inhaler.|
|Inventor(s):||Patton; John S. (San Carlos, CA)|
|Assignee:||Mektar Therapeutics (San Carlos, CA)|
|Filing Date:||May 22, 2000|
|Claims:||1. A method for treating osteoporosis in a mammalian host comprising, dispersing a powder pharmaceutical composition consisting essentially of a therapeutically effective amount of a biologically active N-terminal fragment of parathyroid hormone, a pharmaceutically acceptable bulking agent and optionally, an aerosol propellant in a volume of gas to produce an aerosolized bolus; and administering by inhalation to said host's alveolar region said aerosolized bolus, wherein at least two boluses are administered, and wherein said administration results in a pulsatile serum concentration having a peak concentration within about 30 minutes after administration, followed within about 30 minutes by a decrease to below about 50% of said peak. |
2. The method of claim 1, wherein the mammalian host is human.
3. The method of claim 1, wherein the aerosol propellant, if present, comprises a chlorofluorocarbon or a hydrofluorocarbon.
4. The method of claim 1, wherein the aerosol propellant comprises a hydrofluorocarbon.
5. The method of claim 4, wherein the hydrofluorocarbon comprises at least one member selected from tetrafluoroethane and heptafluoropropane.
6. The method of claim 1, wherein the powder comprises a mean particle size in the range from 0.5 .mu.m to 5 .mu.m.
7. A method for treating osteoporosis in a mammalian host comprising administering by inhalation an aerosolized bolus of a pharmaceutical composition consisting essentially of a therapeutically effective amount of a biologically active N-terminal fragment of parathyroid hormone, a pharmaceutically acceptable bulking agent and an aerosol propellant, wherein the bulking agent comprises at least one member selected from sucrose, lactose, trehalose, human serum albumin, glycine, cellobiose, dextrans, maltotriose, pectin, sodium citrate, sodium ascorbate, and mannitol, and wherein said administration results in a pulsatile serum concentration having a peak concentration within about 30 minutes after administration, followed, within about 30 minutes by a decrease to below about 50% of said peak.
8. The method of claim 1, wherein the biologically active N-terminal fragment of parathyroid hormone is PTH34.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.