Serving 500+ biopharmaceutical companies globally:
Generated: August 20, 2017
|Title:||Pharmaceutical compositions for prevention of overdose or abuse|
|Abstract:||The invention relates to pharmaceutical compositions comprised of a chemical moiety attached to an active agent in a manner that substantially decreases the potential of the active agent to cause overdose or to be abused. When delivered at the proper dosage the pharmaceutical composition provides therapeutic activity similar to that of the parent active agent.|
|Inventor(s):||Mickle; Travis (Charlottesville, VA), Krishnan; Suma (Blacksburg, VA), Moncrief; James Scott (Christiansburg, VA), Lauderback; Christopher (Blacksburg, VA), Mickle; Christal (Charlottesville, VA)|
|Assignee:||Shire LLC (Florence, KY)|
|Filing Date:||Sep 30, 2004|
|Claims:||1. A method for altering the short term bioavailability of an oral dosage form of a hydromorphone composition comprising: covalently bonding hydromorphone or a pharmaceutically acceptable salt thereof through the 2' or 6' position to the C-terminus of a single amino acid or an oligopeptide of 15 or fewer amino acids such that the hydromorphone does not release into a patient's bloodstream at levels that give rise to a euphoric or overdose level. |
2. A method for altering the short term bioavailability of an oral dosage form of a hydromorphone composition in a patient comprising providing to said patient hydromorphone, or a pharmaceutically acceptable salt thereof, covalently bound through the 2' or 6' position to the C-terminus of a single amino acid or an oligopeptide of 15 or fewer amino acids wherein said bound hydromorphone maintains a serum release curve which provides therapeutically effective bioavailability but prevents spiking or an increase in blood serum concentrations compared to unbound hydromorphone when taken at doses exceeding the therapeutically effective range.
3. The method of claim 1 or 2 wherein the oligopeptide is selected from a single amino acid, a dipeptide, a tripeptide, a tetrapeptide, a pentapeptide and a hexapeptide.
4. The method of claim 1 or 2 wherein hydromorphone is bound to a single amino acid and the single amino acid is selected from Ala, Glu, lie, Leu, Lys, Phe, Ser, or Val.
5. The method of claim 3 wherein said oligopeptide is a dipeptide selected from Val-Val, Val-Gly, Ser-Amp, Phe-Amp, Lys-Lys, Gly-Gly, Glu-Glu, Glu-Amp, or Ala-Pro.
6. The method of claim 3 wherein said oiigopeptide is a tripeptide selected from Tyr-Tyr-Val, Tyr-Tyr-Phe, Tyr-Tyr-Ile, Thr-Thr-Val, Pro-Glu-Val, Pro2-Leu, Pro2-Ile, Phe-Phe-Leu, Phe-Phe-Ile, Lys-Lys-Val, Lys-Lys-Ile, Leu-Pro-Leu, Leu-Leu-Leu, Gly-Gly-Leu, Gly-Gly-Ile, Glu-Tyr-Val, Glu-Leu-Val, Glu-Glu-Val, Glu-Glu-Ile, Glu-Glu-Glu, Glu-Glu-Phe, Asp-Asp-Val, Asp-Asp-Ile, His-Gly-Gly, Ile-Tyr-Val, Gly-Gly-Gly, Val-Glu-Gly, Leu-Tyr-Val, Gly-Tyr-Leu, Gly-Tyr-Ile, Lys-Ser-Val, Ser-Gly-Val, Gly-Tyr-Val, Gly-Glu-Val, Glu-Pro-Val, Tyr-Pro-Val, Ser-Thr-Val, Phe-Val-Val, Gly-Leu-Val, Glu-Asp-Val, or Gly-Lys-Gly.
7. The method of claim 3 wherein said oligopeptide is a pentapeptide selected from Tyr-Tyr-Phe-Phe-Ile [SEQ ID NO: 8], Tyr-Tyr-Lys-Tyr-Tyr [SEQ ID NO: 9], Tyr-Tyr-Phe-Pro-Ile [SEQ ID NO: 12], Tyr-Tyr-Gly-Gly-Ile [SEQ ID NO: 19], Tyr-Tyr-Glu-Glu-Ile [SEQ ID NO: 24], Phe-Phe-Lys-Phe-Phe [SEQ ID NO: 10], Lys-Lys-Gly-Gly-Ile [SEQ ID NO: 17], Lys-Lys-Glu-Glu-Ile [SEQ ID NO: 26], Lys-Lys-Asp-Asp-Ile [SEQ ID NO: 23], Gly-Gly-Gly-Gly-Leu [SEQ ID NO: 1], Gly-Gly-Gly-Gly-Ile [SEQ ID NO: 16], Gly-Gly-Pro-Pro-Ile [SEQ ID NO: 20], Glu-Glu-Phe-Phe-Phe [SEQ ID NO: 3], Glu-Glu-Phe-Phe-Ile [SEQ ID NO: 5], Glu-Glu-Glu-Glu-Glu [SEQ ID NO: 13], Glu-Glu-Gly-Gly-Leu [SEQ ID NO: 15], Glu-Glu-Gly-Gly-Ile [SEQ ID NO: 14], Glu-Glu-Asp-Asp-Ile[SEQ ID NO: 22], Asp-Asp-Asp-Asp-Ile [SEQ ID NO: 25], Asp-Asp-Phe-Phe-Ile [SEQ ID NO: 21], or Lys-Lys-Pro-Pro-Ile [SEQ ID NO: 18].
8. The method of claim 3 wherein said oligopeptide is a hexapeptide that is Glu-Glu-Phe-Phe-Phe-Ile [SEQ ID NO: 2].
9. The method of claim 3 wherein said oligopeptide is a tetrapeptide that is Lys-Lys-Gly-Gly [SEQ ID NO: 11].
10. The method of claim 1 or 2, wherein said oral dosage form is a tablet, a capsule, an oral solution, or an oral suspension.
Serving 500+ biopharmaceutical companies globally:
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.