Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Optically active 5H-pyrrolo[3,4-b] pyrazine derivative, its preparation and pharmaceutical compositions containing same|
|Abstract:||Dextrorotatory isomer of 6-(5-chloro-2-pyridyl)-5-[(4-methyl-1-piperazinyl)carbonyloxy]-7-oxo-6,7-- dihydro-5H-pyrrolo[3,4-b]pyrazine, its preparation and pharmaceutical compositions containing it which are usable as tranquillisers and hypnotics.|
|Inventor(s):||Cotrel; Claude (Paris, FR), Roussel; Gerard (Soisy sur Seine, FR)|
|Assignee:||Sepracor Inc. (Marlborough, MA)|
|Filing Date:||Sep 28, 2004|
|Claims:||1. A method of making a dextrorotatory isomer of zopiclone, 6-(5-chloro-2-pyridyl)-5-[4-methyl-1-piperazinyl) carbonyloxy]-7-oxy-6,7-dihydro-5H-pyrrolo[3,4-b]pyrazine, comprising the steps of: a) forming a first reaction mixture by mixing a solution of an optically active acid in dichloromethane to a solution of zopiclone in dichloromethane; b) concentrating the reaction mixture to dryness under reduced pressure to form a dry salt; c) recrystallizing the salt in acetonitrile to form a first crystallized product; d) dissolving the crystallized product in dichloromethane with reflux; e) adding acetonitrile to form a second reaction mixture; f) maintaining the second reaction mixture to form a second crystallized product and recrystallizing the second crystallized product to obtain a crystallized salt; g) dissolving the crystallized salt in water in the presence of dichloromethane to form a third reaction mixture; h) alkalinizing the third reaction mixture to pH 11, collecting a first organic phase, extracting a remaining aqueous phase at least once with dichloromethane to obtain a second organic phase, collecting the second organic phase, and recombining the first and second organic phases; i) washing the recombined organic phases in water, then drying over magnesium sulfate, then filtering; j) evaporating the solvent and recrystallizing the resulting product in acetonitrile to obtain the dextrorotatory zopiclone isomer. |
2. The method according to claim 1, wherein the first crystallized product has a melting temperature of 160 165.degree. C. and a rotatory power of [.alpha.].sup.20.sub.D=83.degree. (c=0.5; acetone).
3. The method according to claim 1, wherein the second reaction mixture is maintained for 1 hour at 5.degree. C.
4. The method according to claim 1, wherein the crystallized salt has a melting temperature of 160 165.degree. C. and a rotary power of [.alpha.].sup.20.sub.D=102.degree. (c=0.5; acetone).
5. The method according to claim 1, wherein the alkalinizing of the third reaction mixture is achieved by the slow addition of a basic aqueous solution.
6. The method according to claim 1, wherein the dextrorotatory zopiclone isomer has a melting temperature of 206.5.degree. C. and [.alpha.].sup.20.sub.D=135.degree..+-.3.degree. (c=1.0; acetone).
7. The method according to claim 1, wherein the optically active acid is D(+)-O,O'-dibenzoyltartaric acid.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.