|Title:||Methods for the treatment of neuro- disorders using aminothiol compounds|
|Abstract:||The present invention relates to new uses of S-2-(3-aminopropylamino)ethyl dihydrogen phosphorothioate, (amifostine) and other aminothiol compounds to treat and reverse toxicities caused by therapeutic agents, radiation treatment or diabetes. In particular, the invention provides a method for treating neurotoxicity and nephrotoxicity associated with the administration of chemotherapeutic agents.|
|Inventor(s):||Stogniew; Martin (Blue Bell, PA), Alberts; David S. (Tucson, AZ), Kaplan; Edward H. (Skokie, IL)|
|Assignee:||Medimmune Oncology Inc. (Gaithersburg, MD)|
|Filing Date:||May 03, 2002|
|Claims:||1. A method for treating a neuro-disorder in a human which comprises administering a therapeutically effective amount of WR 33278 or a pharmaceutically acceptable salt thereof to a human in need of such treatment after the occurrence of said neuro-disorder, wherein the neuro-disorder is a result of the administration of one or more cancer chemotherapeutic agents. |
2. The method of claim 1, wherein said neuro-disorder is a neurotoxicity.
3. The method of claim 1, wherein said neuro-disorder is a peripheral neuropathy, autonomic neuropathy, central neuropathy, muscle weakness, arthralgia or myalgia.
4. The method of claim 1, wherein said neuro-disorder is a result of the administration of cisplatin, carboplatin, pactitaxel, docetaxel, vincristine, navelbine, gemcytobin, etoposide, doxorubicin, daunorubicin or a combination thereof.
5. The method of claim 1, wherein said aminothiol compound is administered intravenously, subcutaneously, intramuscularly, intradermally, topically or orally.
6. The method of claim 1, wherein said human is a cancer patient.