|Claims:||1. A method for an ultrasound treatment of a patient in need of such treatment, comprising administering, intra-arterially, to said patient a composition comprising stabilized gas bubbles and a therapeutic agent, and applying ultrasound, to treat said patient, wherein the stabilized gas bubbles are formed by a gas or a gas precursor selected from a group consisting of perfluoropropane; perfluorobutane; perfluoropentane; perfluorohexane; perfluorocyclobutene; perfluoro-1-butene; perfluoro-2-butene; perfluoro-2-butyne; perfluoropropylene, hexafluoro acetone; isopropyl acetylene; allene; tetrafluoroallene; boron trifluoride; 1,2-butadiene; 1,3-butadiene; 1,2,3-trichloro-2-fluoro-1,3-butadiene; 2-methyl-1,3 butadiene; hexafluoro-1,3-butadiene; butadiyne; 1-fluoro-butane; 2-methyl-butane; 1-butene; 2-butene; 2-methy-1-butene; 2-methyl-2-butene; 3-methyl-1-butene; 1,4-phenyl-3-butene-2-one; 2-methyl-1-butene-3-yne; butyl nitrate; 1-butyne; 2-butyne; 2-chloro-,1,1,4,4,4-hexafluoro-butyne; 3-methyl-1-butyne; 2-bromo-butyraldehyde; carbonyl sulfide; crotononitrile; cyclobutane; methyl-cyclobutane; 3-chloro-cyclopentene; cyclopropane; 1,2-dimethyl-cyclopropane; 1,1-dimethyl cyclopropane; 1,2-dimethyl cyclopropane; ethyl cyclopropane; methyl cyclopropane; diacetylene; 3-ethyl-3-methyl diaziridine; 1,1,1-trifluorodiazoethane; dimethyl amine; hexafluoro-dimethyl amine; dimethylethylamine; bis-(dimethylphosphine)amine; 2,3-dimethyl-2-norbomane; perfluorodimethylamine; dimethyloxonium chloride; 1,3-dioxolane-2-one; 1,1-dichloroethane; 1,1-dichloro-1,2,2,2-tetrafluoro ethane; 1,2-difluoro ethane; 2-chioro-1,1-difluoroethane; 2-chloro-1,1-difluoroethane; 1-chloro-1,1,2,2-tetrafluoroethane; chloroethane; chioropentafluoro ethane; dichlorotrifluoroethane; fluoroethane; nitropentafluoro ethane; nitrosopentafluoro ethane; perfluoro ethylamine; ethyl vinyl ether; 1,1-dichloroethylene; 1,2-difluoroethylene; 1,1-dichloro-1,2-difluoro ethylene; trifluoromethane sulfonyl chloride; trifluoro tethanesulfonyl fluoride; trifluoropentafluorothio methane; bromodifluoronitrosomethane; bromofluoromethane; bromochiorofluoromethane; trifluorobromomethane; chiorodifluoronitromethane; chiorodinitromethane; chiorofluoromethane; difluorodibromomethane; fluorodichioromethane; difluoromethane; difluorojodomethane; disilanomethane; fluoromethane; iodomethane; jodotrifluoromethane; octafluorocyclobutane; octafluoro-2-butene; octafluorocyclopentene; trifluoronitromethane; trifluoronitrosomethane; trichiorofluoromethane; trifluoromethane sulfonyichioride; 2-methylbutane; methyl ether; methyl isopropyl ether; methyl lactate; methyl nitrite; methyl sulfide; methyl vinyl ether; neon; neopentane; nitrous oxide; 1,2,3-nonadecanetricarboxylic acid-2-hydroxytrimethylester; 1-nonene-3-yne; 1,4-pentadiene; n-pentane; 4-amino-4-methyl-2-pentanone; 1-pentene; 2-pentene (cis); 2-pentene (trans); 3-bromo-1-pentene; tetrachloro phthalic acid; 2,3,6-trimethyl-piperidine; propane, 1,2-epoxy-propane; 2,2-difluoro-propane; 2-amino-propane, 2-chloro-propane; heptafluoro-1-nitro-propane; heptafluoro-1-nitroso-propane; propene; 1-chloro-propylene; 2-chloro-propylene; 3-fluoro-propylene-propyne; 3,3,3-trifluoro-propyne; 3-fluoro-styrene; sulfur hexafluoride; 2,4-diamino-sulfurdecafluoro-toluene; trifluoroacetonitrile; trifluoromethyl peroxide; trifluoromethyl sulfide; tungsten hexafluoride; vinyl acetylene; vinyl ether; and combinations thereof. |
2. A method according to claim 1, wherein said stabilized gas bubbles comprise closed membrane-bounded structures that encompass an enclosed gas bubble.
3. A method according to claim 2, wherein said membrane-bounded structure is an albumin microsphere.
4. A method according to claim 1, wherein said therapeutic agent comprises a chemotherapeutic agent.
5. A method according to claim 1, wherein said composition is administered through a catheter.
6. A method according to claim 1, wherein said composition causes an increase in the rate of absorption of ultrasonic energy.
7. A method according to claim 1, wherein said composition accelerates the process of cavitation during said application of ultrasound.
8. A method according to claim 7, wherein said acceleration in the process of cavitation is produced by a decrease in the cavitation threshold.
9. A method according to claim 1, wherein said composition increases the acoustic heterogeneity and generates cavitation nuclei in said patient.
10. A method for an ultrasound treatment of a patient in need of such treatment, comprising administering, intra-arterially, to said patient a composition comprising a perfluorocarbon and a therapeutic agent, and applying ultrasound, to treat said patient, wherein the perfluorocarbon is selected from a group consisting of perfluoropropane, perfluorobutane, perfluoropentane, perfluorohexane, perfluorocyclobutene, perfluoro-1-butene, perfluoro-2-butene, perfluoro-2-butyne, perfluoropropylene, and combinations thereof.
11. A method according to any one of claims 1 3, 4, 5, or 6 10 wherein ultrasound is applied through an intravascular ultrasound catheter.