|Title:||Iontophoretic drug delivery device and reservoir and method of making same|
|Abstract:|| A reservoir electrode assembly of the present invention for an iontophoretic drug delivery device includes an electrode and a hydrophilic reservoir situated in electrically conductive relation to the electrode. The hydrophilic reservoir is formed from a bibulous hydrophilic cross-linked polymeric material having a first surface and a second surface that is adhesively adherent to the electrode. The first surface of the polymeric material is releasably adhesively adherent when applied to an area of a patient's skin. The polymeric material has a cohesive strength forms an adhesive bond with a bond strength between the second surface of the polymeric material to the electrode that is greater than the cohesive strength of the polymeric material. Additionally, an adhesive bond strength of the first surface of the polymeric material to the applied area of the patient is less than the cohesive strength of the polymeric material so that upon removal of the reservoir assembly of the invention from the applied area of the patient, substantially no polymeric material remains on the applied area and the hydrophilic reservoir remains substantially intact and adhesively adherent to the electrode.|
|Inventor(s):|| Keusch; Preston (Hazlet, NJ), Vilambi; NRK (Jamaica Estates, NY), Eliash; Bruce Michael (Franklin Lakes, NJ) |
|Assignee:|| Vyteris, Inc. (Fair Lawn, NJ) |
|Filing Date:||Jan 19, 2005|
|Claims:||1. A method of making a reservoir for an iontophoretic drug delivery device, comprising: applying a portion of a viscous water soluble polymer solution to one side of the reinforcing member; applying a second portion of the viscous water soluble polymer solution to one side of a release liner; laminating the release liner and the reinforcing member together such that both surfaces of the reinforcing member are coated with the viscous water soluble polymer solution; and cross linking the viscous water soluble polymer solution by high energy irradiation. |
2. The method of claim 1, wherein the viscous water soluble polymer solution is applied to the reinforcing member and the release liner to a thickness of about 5 mil to 30 mil.
3. The method of claim 1, wherein coating a reinforcing member further comprises: applying a final release liner to the viscous water soluble polymer solution applied to the reinforcing member to form a laminate.
4. The method of claim 3, wherein the final release liner is an electrode.
5. The method of claim 3, further comprising replacing one of the release liner and the final release liner with an electrode in flexible sheet form.
6. The method of claim 3, further comprising cutting the laminate to form the reservoir.
7. The method of claim 1, further comprising adding at least one medicament to the reservoir.
8. The method of claim 7, wherein the at least one medicament comprises lidocaine and the method further comprises adding a vasoconstrictor, stabilizers and glycerin to the reservoir.