DrugPatentWatch Database Preview
« Back to Dashboard
|Title:||Method and apparatus for reducing static charges during polymerization of olefin polymers|
|Abstract:||The present invention relates to a method and apparatus for controlling static charges in a fluidized bed olefin polymerization reactor. Static charges which develop in the polymer products are measured and, if they fall outside a predetermined range, static charge control agents are introduced into the reactor. By controlling the static charges in the reactor, sheeting and drooling can be controlled.|
|Inventor(s):||Bartilucci; Mark Peter (Beaumont, TX), Davis, Jr.; Ernest Raymond (Beaumont, TX), Egan; Brian J. (Altona, AU), Hagerty; Robert Olds (La Porte, TX), Husby; Per K. (Somerset, NJ)|
|Assignee:||Univation Technologies, LLC (Houston, TX)|
|Filing Date:||Feb 07, 2003|
|Claims:||1. An apparatus for measuring static charges in a fluidized bed olefin polymerization reactor comprising: (a) a Faraday drum; (b) a conduit for transporting a polymer sample from the reactor to the Faraday drum; (c) a means for measuring electric current flow connected to said Faraday drum to measure the static charge of the polymer sample in the Faraday drum. |
2. The apparatus of claim 1 further comprising a means for integrating the electric current flow over time.
3. The apparatus of claim 1 wherein said means for measuring electric current flow comprises an electrometer.
4. The apparatus of claim 1 wherein said Faraday drum comprises an inner drum, an outer shielding drum and an insulating layer between said inner and outer drums.
5. The apparatus of claim 2 wherein said electrometer is connected to said inner drum.
6. The apparatus of claim 1 further comprising a scale to measure the weight of polymer in said Faraday drum.
7. The apparatus of claim 2 wherein said outer shielding drum comprises a product discharge tank.