|Title:||Ophthalmic compositions containing galactomannan polymers and borate|
|Abstract:||The present invention is directed to ophthalmic compositions containing a gelling amount of a combination of galactomannan polysaccharides and borates. The compositions gel or partially gel upon administration to the eye. The present invention also discloses methods of topical ophthalmic administration of the compositions to the eye.|
|Inventor(s):||Asgharian; Bahram (Arlington, TX)|
|Assignee:||Alcon Manufacturing, Ltd. (Forth Worth, TX)|
|Filing Date:||May 14, 2003|
|Claims:||1. An ocular lubricant composition, comprising: 0.1 to 5% (w/v) of one or more borate compounds selected from the group consisting of boric acid and pharmaceutically acceptable salts thereof; 0.05 to 5% (w/v) of one or more galactomannan polysaccharides having linear chains of (1-4)-.beta.-D-mannopyranosyl units with .alpha.-D-galactopyranosyl units attached by (1-6) linkages; and water; wherein the composition does not contain a pharmaceutically active agent. |
2. An ocular lubricant composition according to claim 1, wherein the ratio of D-galactose to D-mannose in the galactomannan polysaccharide is from 1:2 to 1:4.
3. An ocular lubricant composition according to claim 2, wherein the ratio of D-galactose to D-mannose is 1:2.
4. An ocular lubricant composition according to claim 1, wherein the concentration of the one or more galactomannan polysaccharides is 0.1 to 3.0% (w/v), and the concentration of the one or more borate compounds is 0.1 to 2.0% (w/v).
5. An ocular lubricant composition according to any one of claims 1-4, wherein the composition is a solution having a slightly acidic to neutral pH.
6. An ocular lubricant composition according to any one of claims 1-4, wherein the composition is a solution having a pH of 6 to 7.
7. A method of lubricating or moisturizing an eye, which comprises topically applying to the eye an effective amount of an ocular lubricant composition according to any one of claims 1-4.
8. A method according to claim 7, wherein the composition is a solution and has a slightly acidic to neutral pH.
9. A method according to claim 7, wherein the composition is a solution and has a pH of 6 to 7.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.