Find generic entry opportunities
Manage your formulary budget
Anticipate generic drug launch
Proactively manage your pharmacy inventory
Deep knowledge on
small-molecule drugs and
the 110,000 global patents
Drug patents …
… from Kazakhstan to Kalamazoo
Flat-rate pricing for predictable budgeting
Short-term plans for project- or client-based billing
Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Abstract:||The present invention relates to a novel process for the preparation of the magnesium salt of the (-)-enantiomer of 5-methoxy-2-[[(4-methoxy-3,5-dimethyl-2-pyridinyl)-methyl]sulfinyl]-1H-ben zimidazole trihydrate, i.e. S-omeprazole magnesium salt trihydrate. The present invention also relates to the S-omeprazole magnesium salt trihydrate prepared in accordance with the new process and pharmaceutical compositions containing it. Furthermore, the present invention also relates to new intermediates used in the process.|
|Inventor(s):||Kronstrom; Anders (Stockholm, SE), Leander; Eva (Skiptvet, NO), Mattson; Anders (Taby, SE), Jansson; Karin (Holo, SE), Bohlin; Martin (Stockholm, SE)|
|Assignee:||AstraZeneca AB (Sodertalje, SE)|
|Filing Date:||Apr 01, 2002|
|Claims:||1. A process for the preparation of the magnesium salt of S-omeprazole trihydrate which comprises the following steps: (a) dissolving a magnesium source in water; (b) mixing a potassium salt of S-omeprazole with water; (c) adding the solution of the potassium salt of S-omeprazole of step (b) to the solution of step (a) to convert the potassium salt of S-omeprazole into the corresponding magnesium salt of S-omeprazole and precipitate the magnesium salt of S-omeprazole; (d) isolating the obtained magnesium salt of S-omeprazole; (e) treating the obtained magnesium salt of S-omeprazole with water; and (f) isolating and drying the obtained magnesium salt of S-omeprazole trihydrate. |
2. The process according to claim 1, further comprising the step of adding seeding crystals of S-omeprazole magnesium salt trihydrate to the solution of step (a).
3. The process according to claim 1, further comprising the step of washing the solution of step (b) with an organic solvent.
4. The process according to claim 2, further comprising the step of washing the solution of step (b) with an organic solvent.
5. The process according to claim 3 or 4, wherein the organic solvent is toluene.
6. The process according to any one of claims 1-4, wherein the magnesium source is magnesium sulfate.
7. The process according to any one of claims 1-4, wherein the magnesium salt of S-omeprazole trihydrate is characterized by the following major peaks in its X-ray diffractogram:
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.