Proactively manage your pharmacy inventory
Find generic entry opportunities
Manage your formulary budget
Anticipate generic drug launch
Deep knowledge on
small-molecule drugs and
the 110,000 global patents
Drug patents …
… from Kazakhstan to Kalamazoo
Flat-rate pricing for predictable budgeting
Short-term plans for project- or client-based billing
Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Process for preparing powder formulations|
|Abstract:||The invention relates to a new process for producing powdered preparations for inhalation.|
|Inventor(s):||Walz; Michael (Bingen, DE), Boeck; Georg (Mainz, DE)|
|Assignee:||Boehringer Ingelheim Pharma KG (Ingelheim, DE)|
|Filing Date:||Oct 11, 2001|
|Claims:||1. A process for preparing an inhalable powder, wherein N+m substantially equal portions of an excipient having a larger particle size distribution and N equal portions of an active substance having a smaller particle size distribution are added in alternate layers into a suitable mixing vessel and after all the excipient and active substance have been added the 2N+m layers of the two components are mixed together using a suitable mixer, wherein a portion of the excipient having the larger particle size is added first, and wherein N is an integer >5 and m denotes 0 or 1. |
2. A process according to claim 1, wherein N is an integer >5.
3. A process according to claim 1, characterised in that the individual portions of excipient and active substance are added in layers through a suitable screening apparatus.
4. A process according to claim 1, characterised in that m denotes 1.
5. A process according to claim 1, characterised in that the inhalable powder obtained contains less than 5% of active substance.
6. A process according to claim 5, characterised in that the inhalable powder obtained contains less than 2% of active substance.
7. A process according to claim 1, characterised in that the active substance has a particle size of from 0.5 to 10 .mu.m.
8. A process according to claim 7, characterised in that the active substance has a particle size of from 1 to 6 .mu.m.
9. A process according to claim 1, characterised in that the excipient has a mean particle size of from 10 to 100 .mu.m.
10. A process according to claim 9, characterised in that the excipient has a mean particle size of from 15 to 80 .mu.m.
11. A process according to claim 1, wherein the excipient is a single excipient or a mixture of different excipients.
12. A process according to claim 1, characterised in that the excipient consists of a mixture of coarser excipient with an average particle size of 15 to 80 .mu.m and finer excipient with an average particle size of 1 to 9 .mu.m, the proportion of finer excipient constituting 1 to 20% of the total amount of excipient.
13. A process according to claim 1, wherein the active substance is a single active substance or two or more different active substances.
14. A process according to claim 1, characterised in that the active substance consists of one or more compounds selected from among the betamimetics, anticholinergics, corticosteroids and dopamine agonists.
15. An inhalable powder obtained by the process according to claim 1.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.