|Title:||Pharmaceutical compositions for rectal and vaginal administration|
|Abstract:||The pharmaceutical compositions of the present invention comprise rectally and vaginally administerable dosage forms that contain effervescent agents as penetration enhancers for drugs. Effervescence occurs in the rectum or vagina, once the dosage form is administered or at a predetermined time following administration. The effervescent agents can be used alone or in combination with pH adjusting substance, which further promote dissolution and absorption of the active ingredient.|
|Inventor(s):||Pather; S. Indiran (Plymouth, MN), Robinson; Joseph R. (Madison, WI), Eichman; Jonathan D. (Ann Arbor, MI), Khankari; Rajendra K. (Maple Grove, MN), Hontz; John (Plymouth, MN)|
|Assignee:||Cima Labs Inc. (Eden Prairie, MN)|
|Filing Date:||Sep 19, 2000|
|Claims:||1. A method for delivering an active ingredient to a target area in the rectum of a mammal; comprising the steps of: (a) administering in the rectum of a mammal a dosage form comprising a therapeutically effective amount of an active ingredient and at least one effervescent penetration enhancer present in an amount sufficient to increase absorption of said active ingredient across a mucosa layer of said target area, (b) causing said active ingredient and said effervescent penetration enhancer to release from said dosage form at said target area in said rectum and to provide effervescent action at said target area; so that said effervescent action promotes the absorption of a therapeutically effective amount of said active ingredient across said target area. |
2. The method of claim 1 wherein said amount of said at least one effervescent penetration enhancer is about two times to about three times the amount of said active ingredient.
3. The method of claim 1, further comprising the step of administering a suitable pH adjusting substance in said dosage form.
4. The method of claim 1, further comprising the step of administering a bioadhesive in said dosage form, wherein said bioadhesive increases contact time between said active ingredient and a mucosa layer of said target area.
5. The method of claim 4, wherein said bioadhesive is contained in a portion of said dosage form external to said active ingredient.
6. The method of claim 1, further comprising the step of administering at least one noneffervescent disintegration agent in said dosage form.
7. The method of claim 1, wherein said dosage form is a suppository.
8. The method of claim 1, wherein said effervescent penetration enhancer comprises a pharmaceutically acceptable effervescent couple; said effervescent couple comprising an acid or equivalent thereof and a base or equivalent thereof.
9. The method of claim 8, wherein said base or equivalent thereof is present in an amount equal to about two times to about three times the amount of said active ingredient; and said acid is present in an amount approximately equimolar to said base.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.