Generated: April 27, 2017
|Title:||Method and apparatus for reducing static charges during polymerization of olefin polymers|
|Abstract:||The present invention relates to a method and apparatus for controlling static charges in a fluidized bed olefin polymerization reactor. Static charges which develop in the polymer products are measured and, if they fall outside a predetermined range, static charge control agents are introduced into the reactor. By controlling the static charges in the reactor, sheeting and drooling can be controlled.|
|Inventor(s):||Bartilucci; Mark Peter (Beaumont, TX), Davis, Jr.; Ernest Raymond (Beaumont, TX), Egan; Brian J. (Altona, AU), Hagerty; Robert Olds (La Porte, TX), Husby; Per K. (Somerset, NJ)|
|Assignee:||Univation Technologies, LLC (Houston, TX)|
|Filing Date:||Mar 08, 2001|
|Claims:||1. A method for reducing static charges during polymerization of one or more olefins in a fluidized bed reactor which comprises: continuously monitoring static charges within the fluidized bed; and introducing a static control agent into the reactor in amounts sufficient to create and maintain essentially neutral charges in the fluidized bed, wherein the continuous monitoring comprises (a) removing a sample of polymer from the reactor; and (b) measuring the static charge of said polymer sample using a Faraday drum. |
2. The method of claim 1 wherein the sample of polymer is taken from the product discharge stream of the reactor.
3. A method for controlling the static charge during the polymerization of one or more olefins in a fluidized bed reactor comprising: withdrawing a polymer sample from the reactor; measuring the static charge of said polymer sample using a Faraday drum; and adding a static control agent to the reactor in an amount to create and maintain essentially neutral static charges in the fluidized bed.
4. The method of claim 3 wherein the measuring of the static charge is performed using a Faraday drum.
5. The method of claim 3 wherein the polymer sample is withdrawn from the product discharge of the reactor.
6. A method for controlling static charges in a fluidized bed reactor comprising: removing a sample from the fluidized bed reactor; measuring the static charge of said sample using a Faraday drum; comparing the measured charge with a predetermined range of static charge values; determining if the measured static charge is outside the predetermined range of static charge values and the polarity of the measured static charge; and adding a static charge control agent to the reactor if the measured static charge lies outside the predetermined range of static charge values.
7. The method of claim 6 wherein said Faraday drum is connected to an electrometer to measure the static charge of said polymer.
8. The method of claim 6 wherein said Faraday drum comprises: an inner drum; an outer shielding drum; and an insulating layer between said inner and outer drums.
9. The method of claim 8 wherein said Faraday drum further comprises an electrometer connected to said inner drum.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.