Proactively manage your pharmacy inventory
Anticipate generic drug launch
Drug patents …
… from Kazakhstan to Kalamazoo
Find generic entry opportunities
Manage your formulary budget
Deep knowledge on
small-molecule drugs and
the 110,000 global patents
Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Hydromorphone and hydrocodone compositions and methods for their synthesis|
|Abstract:||A method for the preparation of a ketone from a narcotic alkaloid having an allyl alcohol moiety is disclosed. The method includes mixing the narcotic alkaloid with an acid in the presence of a catalyst wherein the method is carried out in the substantial absence of hydrogen gas. The method is useful for preparing hydromorphone and hydrocodone compositions having novel impurity profiles. Compositions comprising hydromorphone and hydrocodone are also disclosed.|
|Inventor(s):||Harclerode; William H. (Asbury, NJ), Gault; Robert (Gross Pointe Woods, MI), Sandison; Mark D. (Dearborn, MI)|
|Assignee:||Abbott Laboratories (Abbott Park, IL)|
|Filing Date:||Nov 09, 2000|
|Claims:||1. A method of preparing a ketone from a narcotic alkaloid having an allyl alcohol moiety comprising: mixing the narcotic alkaloid with an acid in the presence of a catalyst wherein the method is carried out in the substantial absence of hydrogen gas; forming a sulfite adduct and generating a ketone from said sulfite adduct, such that said ketone is prepared. |
2. The method as recited in claim 1, wherein the narcotic alkaloid comprises a compound represented by formula (I): ##STR5## wherein R is hydrogen or an alcohol protecting moiety.
3. The method of claim 2, wherein said alcohol protecting moiety is alkyl, aralkyl, or aryl.
4. The method of claim 3, wherein R is hydrogen or CH.sub.3.
5. The method of claim 1, wherein said narcotic alkaloid is selected from the group consisting of morphine, codeine and salts thereof.
6. The method of claim 1, wherein said narcotic alkaloid is morphine or a salt thereof.
7. The method of claim 1, wherein said narcotic alkaloid is codeine or a salt thereof.
8. The method of claim 2, wherein said ketone is represented by formula II: ##STR6##
9. The method of claim 8, wherein R is hydrogen or CH.sub.3.
10. The method of claim 8, wherein said ketone is hydromorphone or one of its salts.
11. The method of claim 10, wherein said ketone is the bisulfite salt of hydromorphone.
12. The method of claim 8, wherein said ketone is hydrocodone or one of its salts.
13. The method of claim 2, wherein said alcohol protecting moiety is removed after the formation of the ketone.
14. The method of claim 1, wherein said catalyst comprises non-supported palladium.
15. The method of claim 1, wherein said acid is hydrochloric acid.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.